• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Woo Hoo - Cast my first 2000 and Powder Coated too

Petro_58

Default rank <3500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
20   0
Reaction score
Well I've finally got around to Casting, I did 500 each 45acp, 44mag, 40s&w and 9mm. I also decided to try the Powder Coating. Here are a few of my Newbie's. Yellow are 230gr. .45acp, Black are 240gr .44mag/spl, Red are 180gr. .40S&W. Ooop's forgot to show some of the 125gr 9mm. Hope to load a few sometime this week then, off to the Range.

I added a pic with some of the 125gr. 9mm

3.JPG

4.JPG

Last edited:
I ran them all through a Lee Sizer just to be sure. Most all went through Easily. I did Tumble Lube a few with ALOX also. I Loaded some of the 9mm, no case bulg.

I used the Harbor Freight Powder Coat Set. I think we paid $39 on sale for the Powder Coat Set. Then we bought 2lbs (3.99lb)each of the Yellow, Black, and Red Powder and we got 20% off the Total. Now I'll say I used very little Powder to coat all these Boolits. So I'm not sure how long or many each .lb of powder will do. Easy to do, but like anything it's got a Learning Curve. I've gotten better at it Quickly.

Last edited:
Some fine looking craftsmanship, is the coating for looks or leading?
The Coating will hopefully help keep Leading to a Minimum, it substitutes for Lube. These are my first, the 9mm look pretty good but a shiny spot here and there. First I cover my metal table with Non Stick Reynolds Foil. Then I Powder Coated them, then I move them with a big Pair of hemostats to my oven Tray (also covered in Non Stick Foil) some get a shiny spot where the Hemo's touch them, some don't. (Learning Curve) So I give a quick touch with the Powder Coat Gun. Bake for 18-20 minutes @400 deg No more Shiny Spots. :)

Last edited:
Nice looking job. Have you looked into the shake and bake method? A plastic tub w/ a number 5 on the bottom, some air soft bb's and a few spoonfuls of powder, depending on how many you are doing. Put the lid on and shake. 30 Seconds to a minute and you should be good from what I have read. Some put the container in a tumbler, but it isn't required.
Continued success in your endeavor.

From the powder coating standpoint, the electrostatic charge the powder gun puts on the powder particles means theyr'e going to stick to the bullet in a single layer everywhere there is enough space to fit a particle. More even coating and less handling = more consistent boolits = more consistent shooting!

Back
Top Bottom