• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wood stock refinish of a different kind

loadnplenty

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
197   0
Reaction score
31C1C418-DBE5-4699-8A05-C7CA56F4EA5B.jpeg

So I am starting out with basically a perfect 10/22 stock that nobody wanted to buy.
The factory stock usually doesn’t have the best wood grain when refinished, so I am going to give wood burning a try on a rifle stock. Might work, my look like crap when I am finished but maybe I will learn a thing a or two along the way.

F8A78A6B-FF8E-408D-A021-12626096C4BE.jpeg

I have also been searching for a green dye that would look decent in wood. So this here is hair dye. I am going to finish this piece off with some true oil and hope it takes some of the brightness out of it.

I did an airgun stock with a green latex Minwax wood stain...I don't recommend it. The latex dries too fast and doesn't penetrate the finely sanded grain. Never thought about a dye maybe that's the way to go. Good luck and post pictures when it's done.

I did an airgun stock with a green latex Minwax wood stain...I don't recommend it. The latex dries to fast and doesn't penetrate the finely sanded grain. Never thought about a dye maybe that's the way to go. Good luck and post pictures when it's done.

I did a 788 stock with a green Minwax stain. I'll 2nd not recommending that route. Dye sounds like a possibility.
I ran across a video of someone using a lichtenberg device on a model 60 Marlin stock. That is a really neat burn pattern.
loadnplenty loadnplenty , you might want to look at that option as well.
Sub'd for results. :thumb::thumb:

I did a 788 stock with a green Minwax stain. I'll 2nd not recommending that route. Dye sounds like a possibility.
I ran across a video of someone using a lichtenberg device on a model 60 Marlin stock. That is a really neat burn pattern.
loadnplenty loadnplenty , you might want to look at that option as well.
Sub'd for results. :thumb::thumb:

I have seen the lichtenburg device. The patterned do look awesome!! I have considered it. Seems like a lot supplies are needed to assemble one.

Back
Top Bottom