• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Woodstock Area

XJMAN

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
67   0
Reaction score
Hello, I have a lot of reloading stuff and am new to it (brand new). So I just wrote out an entire paragraph and then realized this should be shorter... I need someone to show me the basics & beyond of reloading. I aquired an entire once working setup and have no idea what I'm doing. Lots of stuff to go through and lots of things I have no idea if they are still usable or not, like tubs of powder, primers, etc. I'm close to Trickum Rd & Hwy 92 and was hoping to find someone knowledgable local that is willing to help. Either at my place or theirs showing me what is what. Hopefully in the next couple of months I'll have enough garage space to go through it all and figure out a way to set it up. I sort of went through it all when I got it but it was so much and I quickly realized I don't know enough to make sense of it so I boxed it all back up. End goal is to learn how to do this correctly and more importantly safely so I don't have anything blow up in my face. I'd eventually like to load my own hunting rounds which I'm sure I don't have dies for those calibers and I'm sure I have way too much stuff in calibers I don't own.
So much for not writing a huge paragraph lol!
I'll look at the press and find a manufacturer and series as well plus snap a couple of pics.
Thank you

Step 1 - Build or buy a sturdy loading bench.
Step 2 - Bolt your press down

I'm a long way away or I'd help out. At least if you get the above two items done, you won't be wasting anyones time when they come.

The press & another piece are already bolted to a homemade bench. It's pretty sturdy, 2x6's if I remember correctly. It was a bear loading it into the bed to my truck... I'm going to add an x-brace to it just to be sure because post trip it's got a little lean to it. If I had more 'free time' I'd come to you and see a setup. I'll take a bunch of pics when I get home this evening. I don't feel I've bitten off more than I can chew but some guidance seems likes a great idea. The bench has a shelf on the bottom that links the legs so I put the 6 ammo cans of stuff that came with it down there and it isn't going anywhere. Ive also got a big storage bin, a trunk/foot locker and a couple of travel size tool boxes of stuff as well. When I got home with all of it I consolidated a bunch of smaller boxes into the big storage bin and I can't even pick it up now. If I did manage to I imagine the bottom would fall out... Thanks guys

main thing is to post what press you have. the process is pretty close to the same but IMHO there's a big difference between showing you how to load a bunch of 9mm plinking ammo on a Dillon 550 vs. precision reloading on an RCBS Rock Crusher. Let us know what press(es?) you have, and what you want to load, and we can go from there.

I'm 45 minutes away but always glad to answer questions and might have time in a few weeks to go thru some stuff.

Best recommendation to get started is to purchase the Lyman 50 guide and/or the Western Powder. I have both and they each have a very detailed "how to get started reloading" section as well as more advanced tips and procedures.

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-50th-Edition-Reloading-Manual/dp/B01N76GD2F

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Powders-Handloading-Guide-Reloading/dp/B0051521C4?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

I was impressed with the new Western guide, I've read most of the others and besides I use a lot of RamShot/AA powder, I liked the info they included. Buy one of these and start reading and then ask some questions. We all would be glad to help.

Tks everyone!!! I'll definitely pick up a manual. Here are a few pics of the two presses. One is a Lee and I didn't see a name on the other. Don't judge the cluttered garage too harshly lol!

Attachments

• IMG_0453.JPG
    IMG_0453.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0454.JPG
    IMG_0454.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0455.JPG
    IMG_0455.JPG