• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Woodworking pros listen please

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
I sanded down some wood and it's Birch and I've heard that Birch can be a pain in the butt to stain. Is it correct that I should use a gel stain on that or what is the best Avenue of approach?

crippen crippen

I am no pro, but have done many birch stocks (10/22's) with Linseed oil, then rub in some Chestnut Ridge stain to give it that red hue. Think pre 64 Winchesters or a kissing cousin to the M1 Garand look.

Try not to raise the grain on the wood when you strip it.

Gent on other forum was a genius on stains, was a bigwig in the lab for one of the biggest stain/paint companies.

NoRemf is the real deal-

Old Masters Wiping Stain if you can find it. Gives you more control of how light or dark you would prefer it to look.

Screenshot_20230123_195449_Chrome.jpg

If the project isn't one that will ever have to tolerate alcohol spills, I love Zinser Bullseye Shellac for birch. Shellac sits on the surface of the wood, doesn't penetrate. Can be removed with alcohol. Shellac can also be tinted with dies for different colors.

If the project isn't one that will ever have to tolerate alcohol spills, I love Zinser Bullseye Shellac for birch. Shellac sits on the surface of the wood, doesn't penetrate. Can be removed with alcohol. Shellac can also be tinted with dies for different colors.
I need a stain that will soak in and give some color. This wood is very blond in natural form. Then I want to use Tru Oil to build up a deep gloss. I did a Marlin and the owner wanted it blond to have something different. In this case I am getting rid of that piss yellow color on the Norinco 91. The owner wants me to give a light stain and then gloss. It only been fired 10 or 12 times since new and it will remain in the family. He doesn't like the furniture as is so hence the work. I want to do it right once as far as the stain part. I read on Rimfire Central that the Birtchwood Casey Walnut water based stain works very well for this wood. It's cheap and is made for this application so I am going to give it a try. I don't want it to dark but anything better than that standard baby s**t yellow will be an improvement.

The absolute best stain for birch are crushed black walnut husks. Not the green part the dark rich goo between the shell and the outer wall mashed up with linseed oil in a warm bucket and strained through a cheese cloth. I make about a pint or two every year 1/2 for me and the other half for a Luther in TN. IT IS AMAZING stuff.
Sunburst Wallnut...
Its messy but the smell is amazing !

I need a stain that will soak in and give some color. This wood is very blond in natural form. Then I want to use Tru Oil to build up a deep gloss. I did a Marlin and the owner wanted it blond to have something different. In this case I am getting rid of that piss yellow color on the Norinco 91. The owner wants me to give a light stain and then gloss. It only been fired 10 or 12 times since new and it will remain in the family. He doesn't like the furniture as is so hence the work. I want to do it right once as far as the stain part. I read on Rimfire Central that the Birtchwood Casey Walnut water based stain works very well for this wood. It's cheap and is made for this application so I am going to give it a try. I don't want it to dark but anything better than that standard baby s**t yellow will be an improvement.
You have birtch you can waste? Wrap it an Acetone bath when its warm for an hour after 220 grit sand. Put stain on and hand rub it in fast and hard. Wipe of the excess let it cool and do it again.
Then work you way up the sanding scale after hand rubbling tru oil with your fingers between coats

Back
Top Bottom