• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Workbench top. What type wood???

mhayes

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
43   0
Reaction score
in the process of building a workbench in my garage shop. It will be used for general purpose and for cleaning, building and repairing guns and other mechanical stuff. I don't want a soft wood that will damage. Don't want regular plywood either. I need something that will be level and smooth.
Would you go with a Birch hardwood, a MDF board or I seen this at lowes a top choice blondewood plywood that was smooth and stiff.
I don't do a lot of wood working so am unfamiliar with best practices. Lol.
This bench will be as wide as my shop is. So I am looking at a 12' long and 30" deep if this helps you.
Thanks

Whatever you like then epoxy top it.

image.jpeg

I used 0.75" MDF. if you get it from Lowes or depot, have them rip it to width. It's been in my basement shop for 11 years now. Works great.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If you're lucky and happen upon a bowling alley thats getting new lanes, get some! Thats what we had for a bench at the fleet shop I worked at. Talk about solid...

I used .75 oak plywood for my bench top and love it. I had a small can of Min-Wax in Gunstock that I applied on it, nothing more. I'm not in to epoxy coatings as the take away from the natural aging of the bench which to me adds character. Just my .02

Back
Top Bottom