• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

working on a new load?

Living Proof

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
5   0
Reaction score
When you're trying to find a good accurate load for your rifle, how many rounds do you make? Do you make 5 or so of a few different loads then go shoot them all or make a batch of one load see how it does then maybe go back and work up another load?

I generally try to have at least 10 of each loading. It's just easier for me to have two 5 shot group to compare. I generally try to have several different loadings of 10 per at one time to compare. Happy loading!

I do use fireformed brass for load development with the same headstamp only necksized with collet die, just wanted to be clear.

Last edited:
If you have to go to a range I would make several of six and shoot two three shot groups. I do three as I have a range at the house. I find hotter loads shoot better groups. I use powders that have the lowest pressures for the same velocity and do real good with that thought. I hate to just shoot up alot of rounds and strethch out my brass.

i50.tinypic.com_2zyy7a8.jpg

Doc's got the way I do it down pat. Once you pick out a couple that shoot well, Refine from there. once I've moved on to refining a load, I'll also do the same method with different overall lengths and primers.

I have always used a process similar to what benjamin said. Begin with starting load at the minimum velocity desired and shoot three shot groups with one grain difference in powder charge up to the maximum charge. Repeat the process to verify the results and then choose the most accurate load. This will get me close and I will usually do some minor tweaking later. The down side to this method is that you can waste a lot of bullets and time. There is a more scientific method that I have wanted to try that supposedly is more efficient in finding the rifle's sweet spot but I haven't tried since I am satisfied with the accuracy I get with my current loads and I currently limit most of my range time to pistols. . Originally the process was called Creighton Audette's Ladder Test but most recently it is referred to as the Incremental Load Development Method by Randolf Constantine. A number of articles and sources are available if you google those terms. A 200 yard range is recommended but some sources say that a 100 yard range is adequate. This process uses a minimum number of rounds. Maybe some of the others that have used this method will chime in with some details.

http://www.desertsharpshooters.com/manuals/incredload.pdf

to truely find the most accuracy. the nodes this is how many competitive long range tac. guys do it , including myself.

starting at the low end of the charge weights load single rounds increasing by .5 grains up to the hot side.

load some sighters in the mid pack to get you on paper were talkin refridgerator box here.
i do inital load work up at 400 yds. you will see clusters as the charge wts increase these are called nodes. you will see upper and lower clusters. pick either one you want. keep in mind the hot side may run into pressure problems during summer months if you do load dev. in winter.
find your clusters then drop down and to .3 grain incriments in which ever node you pick. "i do these at 600 yds"
once you finde the tighter node then i load 5 shot groups in .1 grain incriments at 100 yds. this also confirms the load short range. once i find the charge that shoots tighest then i will increase or decrease by .010 seating depths. keep in mind you will get pressure spikes if you get into the lands.

if you get it right it will do this short
i1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb371_procovert45_IMAG0981.jpg

and this long
i1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb371_procovert45_IMAG0999.jpg

i1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb371_procovert45_IMAG1364_zps987381bd.jpg

i1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb371_procovert45_IMAG1361_zps069b7ce1.jpg

be realistic with your setup though. this is custom match gun/optics.but it is amazing the accuracy that can be pulled out of some stock rifles. i just shot a team precision rifle match with my partner and he ran a factory remmy barreled action his custom stock and did very well with it. they aint all gonna be a diamond in the ruff but some of them will suprise the hell out of ya if you pet on em a lil.

Like mentioned it takes time and Bullets, but I always work my loads in groups of 6, start at low load and go to max. usually 1/2 grain increments. 2- 3 shot groups of each load. pick my best of the group and start fine tuning OAL and Crimp etc. from there. And I may pick the best 2 set's and try fine tuning, to see which one of those work the best. Next trip I'll work 2- 5 shot groups using different OAL's, crimp and such. Sometimes a little tweak is all it takes!!

Last edited:
Like mentioned it takes time and Bullets, but I always work my loads in groups of 6, start at low load and go to max. usually 1/2 grain increments. 2- 3 shot groups of each load. pick my best of the group and start fine tuning OAL and Crimp etc. from there. And I may pick the best 2 set's and try fine tuning, to see which one of those work the best.

That's what I do. I usually do 3 of each working up in .5gr increments.I may try a few of these different methods when things calm down on the supply side and I find I have more time to develop new loads.

Back
Top Bottom