• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Working overtime

Look at the bright side, you could be salaried and expected to put in FREE 'overtime'.

Been there and done that. I worked 30 of 31 days in August one year, now this was 8 hour days Monday thru Friday and then 5 or 6 hours on Saturday and Sunday. No overtime, all for a base salary, to "prove" I was a "team player".

On the other hand, when I did consulting work, it was all hourly, but no overtime. But I gladly worked 45-50 hour weeks because I was making good money.

Had some buddies that worked for the local SO office. They were making $100,000 a year in overtime because no one wanted to work the jail, and it had to be staffed. They would occasionally work a straight 24, go home 12, do it again. Racked in the bucks but nearly killed them.

What it did do for one of them who was near retirement was nearly double his retirement pay. He will probably make an extra million dollars in retirement.

I do overtime but don’t get any extra being salary. Usually work 48 hr weeks. What ticks me off the most is when front office people come in late every day and take long lunches and then take comp time if by chance they had to work a couple hours over.

I knew a guy back in the 1970s who worked 2 full jobs for years. He worked "days" at the Pabst Brewery in Peoria Heights, IL, then drove cross town and worked "afternoons" at Keystone Steel and Wire. He had gobs of money because he never had any time to spend any of it. Full benefits from both jobs too. He did this for about 15-20 years.

I work overtime quite a bit, usually just an extra 8 hour day. Here lately we’ve gotten really busy at work and we are pulling 12’s five days a week. How the **** do you “regulars” do it?? ! I’ve always valued my time more than money and have never been one to volunteer for overtime. After working 12’s, I don’t see how anybody does it. Wore slap out!
Stop working for hourly pay, either by salary or working for yourself. :becky:
Some weeks I work a lot more than 40, some a lot less. I figure it evens out in the end.

Look at the bright side, you could be salaried and expected to put in FREE 'overtime'.
Salary doesn’t mean you are not able to make overtime.
There’s two types of salaried employee, exempt and non exempt.

One can accrue overtime, the other cannot, however it also doesn’t mean you are required to work more than 40hr without compensation.

12 ain't nothing, yesterday I was at work for 16 hours, so far today 11 hours and am on break, probably gonna be atleast 14 hours today, worked 11 hours every other day this week. My summer work schedule was about 70 hours a week. Just stay but and keep a good mindset and it goes by easy.

I work overtime quite a bit, usually just an extra 8 hour day. Here lately we’ve gotten really busy at work and we are pulling 12’s five days a week. How the **** do you “regulars” do it??! I’ve always valued my time more than money and have never been one to volunteer for overtime. After working 12’s, I don’t see how anybody does it. Wore slap out!
may i ask what it is you do? then i can talyor my advise from there, I work in the commercial medical HVAC trade that requires some effort to work around customers schedule and severity of problems with HVAC. surgery center goes down we have to get it working how ever long it takes sometimes. The extra scratch affords the toys with no use of the plastic.. Success sometimes takes what ever it takes,but some need extra time for R&R. we have are slower times in spring/fall but never know when things go wrong.

I knew a guy back in the 1970s who worked 2 full jobs for years. He worked "days" at the Pabst Brewery in Peoria Heights, IL, then drove cross town and worked "afternoons" at Keystone Steel and Wire. He had gobs of money because he never had any time to spend any of it. Full benefits from both jobs too. He did this for about 15-20 years.
sounds familiar...My dad did the same thing at the same places..

Back
Top Bottom