• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Workplace policy

WilliamTell

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
7   0
Reaction score
I have copied and redacted a workplace policy from a workplace of a family member. I want to know if they can carry at their workplace. After searching the document in their site this article is the only place that the word weapon or firearm is found. I have renamed the company as "CompanyX" I have bolded the item that i am refereing to, but left the rest of the section for context. Can someone please boil down what it says. I feel that there are confusing portions.

Here it is:

Customer Service Impact

CompanyX is committed to providing its team members a safe environment for working and conducting business.

Standard

• CompanyX will not tolerate any threats, threatening behavior, acts of violence, or any related conduct which interferes with or disrupts CompanyX's safe working environment.
  • This prohibition applies to CompanyX team members, vendors, customers, and visitors, whether or not the conduct occurs on or off company property.
  • Threats, threatening behavior, acts of violence or related disruptive conduct against persons or property that is sufficiently severe, offensive, or intimidating that it disturbs, interferes, or prevents normal work functions or activities.
  • All team members are responsible for refraining from making threats, engaging in threatening behavior, acts of violence or related disruptive conduct and for seeking assistance to resolve personal issues that may lead to acts of violence in the workplace.
  • If you feel that you have experienced or witnessed conduct that is prohibited, which is set forth in CompanyX's EEO policy then you are to follow the Complaint Procedure outlined in this standard.
  • CompanyX recognizes that intentional or malicious false accusations of misconduct can have a serious effect on innocent men and women, individuals falsely accusing another of conduct prohibited under this policy will be disciplined in accordance with the nature and extent of his or her false accusation.

TASKS BREAKDOWN

• Specific examples of conduct that may be considered 'threats, threatening behavior, acts of violence or related disruptive conduct" include, but are not limited to the following:
    • Hitting or shoving an individual.
    • Threatening to harm an individual or his/her family, friends, associates, or their property.
    • The intentional destruction or threat of destruction of property owned, operated, or controlled by CompanyX.
    • Harassing or threatening individuals through any form of written or electronic communications.
    • Intimidating or attempting to coerce a team member to do wrongful acts that would affect the business interests of CompanyX.
    • Harassing surveillance of another CompanyX team member and making a credible threat with intent to place the other person in reasonable fear of his or her safety.
    • Unlawful possession of firearms, weapons, or any other dangerous devices on CompanyX property, except as provided for by the Business Security and Associate Privacy Act, which, subject to several exceptions, allows associates who are licensed to carry concealed weapons to store firearms in their vehicles while on CompanyX property, as long as the firearm is properly concealed in a glove box, trunk, or other enclosed compartment within the vehicle.
  • CompanyX will undertake an appropriate review of any complaint. To the extent practicable and appropriate, CompanyX will keep any complaint and the terms of their resolution confidential.
  • The company will take corrective action as appropriate, including such discipline up to and including termination of employment.
  • Further, some conduct prohibited under this policy also is prohibited under criminal law.
  • When appropriate, CompanyX will refer cases for criminal prosecution.
--End Quote--

Last edited:
Unless I am not seeing all of the copied text, I'm not seeing anything mentioning weapon or firearm just "threat".
Based on that, carrying a concealed weapon would not constitute the person exhibiting threatening behavior therefore it would be ok to carry. My workplace policy specifically mentions firearm and weapon so it makes it very clear.
Of course, I'm not a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

State laws supersede company policy so while it may be against co. policy to possess a firearm on privately owned property ( assuming you are legal to own one) it is not against the law unless it is discovered that you have one, you are asked to leave, & you refuse.
Then you are guilty of criminal trespass.
Depending on your occupation & your place of business there maybe some exceptions to this but this is the most common circumstance.

However, many companies consider a violation of that policy to be punishable by immediate termination.

Last edited:
I am not even supposed to have a "weapon" in my car per our company's policy but I do anyways. If I go into one of our buildings (with isn't too often) then I don't press my luck by carrying. I leave it my car. It would be difficult for me to replace my income.

Back
Top Bottom