• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

World War 2 bring back + some of the coolest trench art

carlton wright

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
333   0
Reaction score
simson & suhl gew 98 just got back from the gun smith. When I received it it was not working. Upon inspection the trigger had a broken twig holding it in. My great grandfather sent this rifle home during WW2 while in France. My grandmother always said it was her dad's gun during the war so I was expecting a M1! As soon as I saw it I knew it wasn't his unless he was German...she obviously never read the letters he sent home . He also sent this trench art back he traded cigarettes for to a POW in France. Crazy detail . These items are not for sale or trade . If there is enough intrest I can dig out the letters from WW2 where my great grandfather was all over France as well as the letters from my other ancestor he was part of the TN calvary and ended up a POW held by the union during the Civil War. There is a pretty good size book from each .
20210604_011849.jpg
20210604_011849.jpg
20210604_011910.jpg
20210604_011935.jpg
20210604_012837.jpg
20210604_012845.jpg
20210604_012938.jpg

I would love to read both sets of letters. Does he state how he got the '98? Maybe that broken twig is from the fighting that ended it's career.
That's what I was thinking(about the twig) . He mentions it but the letters where to his mom so he wouldn't have told her if he killed a man for it. He talks about the price of eggs and playing baseball and makes it sound like he had a blast she did warn him not to do anything he would be ashamed of.The Civil War POW letters are not as happy but for the most part he said he was doing tolerable well. I suppose if you where not doing well it wouldn't help to tell everyone at home.

That's what I was thinking(about the twig) . He mentions it but the letters where to his mom so he wouldn't have told her if he killed a man for it. He talks about the price of eggs and playing baseball and makes it sound like he had a blast she did warn him not to do anything he would be ashamed of.The Civil War POW letters are not as happy but for the most part he said he was doing tolerable well. I suppose if you where not doing well it wouldn't help to tell everyone at home.
simson & suhl gew 98 just got back from the gun smith. When I received it it was not working. Upon inspection the trigger had a broken twig holding it in. My great grandfather sent this rifle home during WW2 while in France. My grandmother always said it was her dad's gun during the war so I was expecting a M1! As soon as I saw it I knew it wasn't his unless he was German...she obviously never read the letters he sent home . He also sent this trench art back he traded cigarettes for to a POW in France. Crazy detail . These items are not for sale or trade . If there is enough intrest I can dig out the letters from WW2 where my great grandfather was all over France as well as the letters from my other ancestor he was part of the TN calvary and ended up a POW held by the union during the Civil War. There is a pretty good size book from each . View attachment 3293857View attachment 3293857 View attachment 3293858 View attachment 3293859 View attachment 3293860 View attachment 3293861 View attachment 3293862
Carlton thank you for posting the photos. Very nice. I would be interested in both sets of letters, too. Nice when folks live on through their memoirs. Happy trails and may God bless America.

Back
Top Bottom