• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Worlds best Gunfighter handgun.

I think you are right about sig glock ruger, Smith. Cz and a few more are all on par. 1911 depends on who made it. Would a ria match a glock I suspect not. The 3 ruger 1911 and sig 1911 I have not had a single firearm induced malfunction. Had some knock off target ammo that the sig would not eat. I would put ruger and sig 1911 up against any glock. Now I have a colt maybe not so much but it does have a lot of miles on it. I have a ria cs that doesn't run 100% I have (I hate to admit) kimber ultra tac 2 that runs like a sewing machine also. So it depends on the quality of the 1911. If you had 50 company's copy the glock platform you would have a lot of negative feed back on reliability cause some company's would not hold up to the glock standards. And that is what has happened to the 1911. Do I think sig is a better firearm than glock? For me the answer is yes. For you glock may suit you better. Reliability if it were every thing we would all be packing Smith or ruger six shooters. Revolvers do fail. And as reliable as some autos are the failure rate is greatat than that of the revolver. We give up some reliability for added rounds and weight. It is alwsys a trade off. I digress.
I agree with everything here other than the inherent reliability of the 1911. I absolutely love many things about the 1911 and gave up a lot when I switched to Glock, but I am convinced that the basic design of the 1911 is less reliable than the newer polymer guns. With proper care and feeding good 1911s can be very reliable, but when taking into account all aspects of how and when a weapon may be used and carried they are not on par with the others. If they were, there is no way in hell I would have given mine up. If the ergonomics (natural point) of the 1911 and Glock matched up better I would still own a 1911, at last as a BBQ gun, but they don't match up, so I only carry Glocks now.

I agree with everything here other than the inherent reliability of the 1911. I absolutely love many things about the 1911 and gave up a lot when I switched to Glock, but I am convinced that the basic design of the 1911 is less reliable than the newer polymer guns. With proper care and feeding good 1911s can be very reliable, but when taking into account all aspects of how and when a weapon may be used and carried they are not on par with the others. If they were, there is no way in hell I would have given mine up. If the ergonomics (natural point) of the 1911 and Glock matched up better I would still own a 1911, at last as a BBQ gun, but they don't match up, so I only carry Glocks now.
You and I have had different experiences with 1911 vs glock and that has lead us to different conclusions. I had a g29 that had to be replaced because glock could not make it run a full mag. My experience has lead me to the conclusion that a quality built 1911 can be just as reliable as any plastic striker-fired firearms in existence. Having a range where I see thousands of round fired from a large variety of handguns has reinforce this conclusion.

I know that I will never convince glock fans that a glock isn't the ultimate handgun. I doubt many people put as many rounds down range in a years time as I do. Cmshoot maybe does. I have seen about every platform have an issue at some point. I always here how brand model x went 10k rounds without a malfunction. When really all you need is for it to get through every round you have with you when you need it.

I know that I will never convince glock fans that a glock isn't the ultimate handgun. I doubt many people put as many rounds down range in a years time as I do. Cmshoot maybe does. I have seen about every platform have an issue at some point. I always here how brand model x went 10k rounds without a malfunction. When really all you need is for it to get through every round you have with you when you need it.
The reason I switched was not because I felt my EDC 1911 would fail me. I carried 1911s exclusively for around 30 years and at one point I was shooting about 10,000 rounds a year. I switched because I started getting more serious about prepping.

In that situation a weapon might not be getting optimal care or the ammo it prefers most. I don't do "torture tests" on my weapons, but will do one thing. After they have been broken in I will shoot them without cleaning until I start getting regular failures just to see how far I can push that particular weapon. I've never had a 1911 come even close to how well any Glock performed doing this.

I judge by some of the listings there are some serious shooters here who don't spend much time in banter threads. Just my observation. Not trying to discount your point of view.

I always, without fail, recommend Glocks to new shooters and novices.
I just assume they will move on to more advanced pistols later but hey, if they stay with Glock that's fine too.

Back
Top Bottom