• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Would This Make a Good Spotting Scope? Halo Rangefinder?

Joshua223

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
54   0
Reaction score
Dont really have any experience with optics outside basic rifle scopes. I'm sure of you know more about this stuff.
Found this Nikon Prostaff 3 (16-48x60mm) Fieldscope at a nice price. It has a smaller lens than spotting scopes and I'm wondering if that would be deal breaker or if it could still work well if I'm ever able to start rifle shooting again.

61xsD3oQ3cL._SY355_.jpg

Also wondering if Halo is a good brand rangefinder to start out with. Do long range shooters and/or hunters like using the "angle intelligence" feature?

What distance are you considering long range, that you will be shooting at? Spotting scopes are great, but I have friends who use binoculars with range finder functions, and Applied Ballistics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What distance are you considering long range, that you will be shooting at? Spotting scopes are great, but I have friends who use binoculars with range finder functions, and Applied Ballistics.

I'm planning to shoot out to 600 yds or so.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I would be starting out within 100 yards since I'm inexperienced, but I would eventually like to go to several hundred yards (as far out as I can) if I find a place to shoot.

I found a Halo Xtanium 1000 yd rangefinder with angle intelligence really cheap so I bought it, I just have no experience with the brand.

I have a cheap Yukon brand 15X-50X spotting scope with a 60mm lens.

It's good for seeing any bullet hole at 100 yards.

But at 200 yards, I can't spot any hits in the black, and I cannot reliably see smaller-caliber bullet holes in the white (or any light colored paper, or brown cardboard).
But .30 holes are still pretty much visible if they're out of the black at 200 yds.
Spotting the smudge of a bullet impact on a freshly painted steel plate is easy at 200 yards.

I would be starting out within 100 yards since I'm inexperienced, but I would eventually like to go to several hundred yards (as far out as I can) if I find a place to shoot.

I found a Halo Xtanium 1000 yd rangefinder with angle intelligence really cheap so I bought it, I just have no experience with the brand.
Me too brother!!

Let me know how you like that Halo Xtanium 1000 yd rangefinder.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Buy once, cry once. The Bushnell Conx with Kestrel combo is pretty hard to beat. Abi and I don't shoot paper beyond 300 anymore, and I've been teaching her calculations based off her MilDot. Congrats on the Halo, we have one for deer stand hunting. Good range finder for under $100

No experience with the field scope, but it might be handy for hunting with lots of hiking. As far as the rangefinders... I've used Halo, Nikon, Leupold, and found little difference. Possibly Leupold was a bit better in low light. Of those 1000-yard rangefinders, None of them would give me reliable distance past about 325 yards when elk hunting in colorado. Others I was with had similar experience. The last elk I harvested was 477 yard shot, and I wouldn't have taken it if I hadn't been loaned a Leica 1600 that performed flawlessly. Buy once, Cry once.

Buy once, cry once. The Bushnell Conx with Kestrel combo is pretty hard to beat. Abi and I don't shoot paper beyond 300 anymore, and I've been teaching her calculations based off her MilDot. Congrats on the Halo, we have one for deer stand hunting. Good range finder for under $100

Thanks for the info. Maybe the Fieldscope will work well. I thought I heard somewhere a larger lens (with more light) helped make out the bullet holes better or something to that extent.

Yeah, the Halo was originally over $200 in the store I bought it from, but they had the last one on clearance for like $35.

I may go to the park, set a sheet a paper out somewhere and see how things look with the Fieldscope.

Back
Top Bottom