• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Would y'all have fired this ammo ?

Mark IV

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
90   0
Reaction score
Well, I did. :becky: This stuff is some old military .45acp ball ammo made by Remington, that was found in an old barn/shed by a guy we know, on his grandfather's property. My best shooting bud ended up with a variety of stuff from that find, including some lightweight target wadcutters (also military issue 45's). We fired that stuff a couple years back, with good results.
This photo was actually taken AFTER I'd scrubbed them each with a wire brush (little/no effect) and then some emory cloth (which yielded better results).
I wasn't concerned as much with the discoloration, as I was with removing any abrasive build-up that might scratch or stick in the chamber, or affect the extractor grabbing the cartridge rims.
The primer's sealant seemed intact, and the corrosion didn't appear deep into the casings, but it was initially a bit worse than this. I got one box of this ( the original plain cardboard box) in a trade with that freind, with neither of us realizing it looked this bad underneath ( and he still has some of this stuff). He was going to replace it with a box of some fresh ammo this weekend, but I told him not to worry about it, that I was going to try and clean it up and shoot it.
I fired about half the box this morning, and it was all crisp,consistent, and accurate.
Anyway, I figured y'all might be interested to see how badly some ammo can be treated, and still function well.

D87DD61B-6279-493A-9FB7-55BFFDF616D9.jpeg

In 2002, I shot 1930's Turkish 8mm Mauser ammo.
It was 99.9% reliable, powerful, and accurate.

In 1999 I shot a few dizen steel-cased WWII production (1943?) .45 ACP rounds.
They worked great. I even carried them for defense until I had time to research hollow points and buy a few assorted boxes for testing in ballistic media.

In the 1960's my dad was shooting .30-06 ammo with WWI to 1920's headstamp Dates. They worked fine for him (they were corrosive, natch).

Yeah, I'd shoot the Ammo you found in the barn.

Back
Top Bottom