• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Would you do it?

A buddy from work wanted to buy a Sig on here a while back and essentially begged me to message the guy to set up a similar deal. He’s good to go, but he’s also a lazy askhole. I refused to set it up the deal for him and made him join. Now he’s got two deals under his belt and enjoys the website. It’s best to have them join and let the site consume their lives—like the rest of us!

I've done this twice with no issues. One was a friend of a trusted member. He's just really against any online footprint. Talked to him on the phone, met him that afternoon, with no issues at all. It was also not a firearm, just a part I had that he needed for his rifle. Second was me actually initiating it. A guy here had a thermal scope for sale that my brother wanted. He lives out of state and not a member so I gave the ODT'er his cell, let them work out the details and I met him to make the deal. I'd be careful, but look at it on a case by case basis.

My first trade on here went down just like that. My co-worker was a member here. Told him what gun I was looking for. He found one on here and the guy was willing to trade with me. The meet went smooth and he gave my co-worker the positive feedback. After that I decided to start my own account though.

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't make a habit of it. Non members have no repercussions if they flake on a deal. It's too easy for the "buddy" to just open his own account and deal with you directly.

shaking head NO.gif

I’ve had a few members who have messaged me about an item I have for sale saying along the lines of “Hey man, I got a buddy who’s interested in your “firearm”, he’s not a member on ODT but a good guy, can you call or text him?” Along with their number. I’ve turned 2 members down stating I won’t do business with someone who is not at least a member of the site.
I finally caved in, because I wanted to sell quick, and messaged a guy who’s number I was given from a member. The entire deal went just as smooth as any other and I’m glad I gave the guy a chance but I don’t think I’d really want to do it again.
What is everyone’s thoughts on this?

had someone do this a couple of years ago. I told him to have his buddy create a free profile and message me directly. Got a few more PM’s from the original username with lame excuses. I ended up saying if they are too lazy... no deal. Guy called me a D in PM. That almost made me cry

Nope. I don't care if I'm selling cars or cats or Colts; anybody who wants them should contact me directly.

I’ve had a few members who have messaged me about an item I have for sale saying along the lines of “Hey man, I got a buddy who’s interested in your “firearm”, he’s not a member on ODT but a good guy, can you call or text him?” Along with their number. I’ve turned 2 members down stating I won’t do business with someone who is not at least a member of the site.
I finally caved in, because I wanted to sell quick, and messaged a guy who’s number I was given from a member. The entire deal went just as smooth as any other and I’m glad I gave the guy a chance but I don’t think I’d really want to do it again.
What is everyone’s thoughts on this?

Back
Top Bottom