Status
Not open for further replies.

eli'sbook

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
351   0
Reaction score
N. E. Henry County between Stockbridge & Conyers
Beautiful WWII Vintage Smith & Wesson Victory Nickel Snub Nose .38 Special Revolver

The Victory model was so named for the "V" prefix which was placed before the serial number and represented "Victory" against the Axis powers in World War II.

The Victory model revolvers participated in various roles from guard duty to riding in a shoulder holster with fighter and bomber pilots. Many military personnel carried them as late as the 1980s, these pistols played a significant part of our history. To this day the Victory model is a very enjoyable shooting collectible, mainly due to its inexpensive cost, light recoil, and good accuracy.

Serial numbers are located on the inside right grip, frame butt, Cylinder, extractor star, and bottom of grip. Serial numbers should be matching on all revolvers. Crane and Crane recess are also serial numbered to each other, but this is a different number then the revolvers serial number and is correct for Victory model revolvers.
Grip/Stock - Non-Original Grip
Barrel - V128XXX
Cylinder - V128XXX
Extractor - V128XXX
Butt - V128XXX

Serial numbers for the .38 special Victory model began at about V1 in early 1942 and ran until VS811119 with a date of late August of 1945 (end of production). V1 to approximately V39,999 were predominately .38 S&W Caliber. Based on this one's S/N it would have been most likely a 1943 year model.

The alteration of the standard Victory models to a short barrel was done by Cogswell and Harrison in England, which at that time was owned by Sam Cummings. They also did the chamber reaming to convert the guns to .38 Special. AFAIK, all the guns they worked on came from British government stores and were originally in .38 S&W. (Of course, any gunsmith could do the same alterations on any long barrel revolver.) The converted guns had the barrel cut behind the front lug and so had no front lockup. The barrel ended at the end of the ejector rod, which was just hanging there, like a Colt or a Model 1899 M&P.

Production:
38/200 British Service Revolver (S&W Caliber) - There were over 571,629 of these models produced between October 1941 and May 1945 for the British Common wealth countries. These countries include the Union of South Africa (21,347), Canada (45,328), and Australia (8,000). The remaining 384,100 shipped between 1941 and the end of World War II were supplied by the U.S. Army Ordnance through the lend lease program to Britain for distribution.

Victory model 38 Special – 352,000 shipped to the Army and Navy. Some of these were shipped to a commission responsible for supplying the civilian industries. They will usually have no property marks. Uses included guarding factories, ports, and federal/local government agencies. This one has been plated and the finish is super nice for it's age. This one has great cylinder timing and it locks up tight considering how long it's been in service, no idea on the round count. Six Shot capacity, Large Frame, Square Butt.

Note: You can find all kinds of variations, with additional war and post war markings. These include rebuild markings, country ownership markings, unit markings, and much more. For a complete listing see the books referenced below.

Recommended reading:
US Handguns of WW II - The Secondary Pistols and Revolvers by Charles W. Pate
Americas Right Arm - The S&W Military and Police Revolver by John Henwood
Smith and Wesson 1857 - 1945 by Robert J. Neal and Roy G. Jinks

I'm asking $500.00 or best cash offer and I'm open to most all possible trades on other handguns or maybe a long gun in the defense line. I prefer "Small - Compact - Lightweight" so, a nice Glock 36 or similar or maybe high end snub nose revolvers (I'd love a S&W Titanium .44). Like I said I'll listen to all offers on other firearms just no Hunting rifles, BP, Bows, Reloading gear or knives. Just send me a PM (and yes of course I can add cash for the right trade or accept cash for the not so right trades).

!! DSC00004.JPGDSC00003.JPGDSC00005.JPGDSC00006.JPG

Last edited:
Nah, good ole cut-n-paste !! I had a few of these victory models and over time I've lost interest in them - got the itch for newer, modern stuff. I just went back to the first one I traded off and did the copy and tweek to the ad. Too long winded I know but then us old guys just gotta share for the benefit of the youngun's who just don't have a clue what life was like before GLOCK, LOL........

Like I said, I had a few of these victory models and over time I've lost interest in them - got the itch for newer, modern stuff. I, at one time was heavy into the revolver thing and still love'em. I shot some in the competition arena in PPC (Police Pistol Combat) with a S&W model 10 that looked like you could run over it with a tank and not harm it (don't recall who I sold it to or when). I hit almost all the gun shows from the 70's through the 80's in the South of Atlanta neck of the woods then it got to the point that most shows were retail outlets and full of non-gun crap.

Nah, good ole cut-n-paste !! I had a few of these victory models and over time I've lost interest in them - got the itch for newer, modern stuff. I just went back to the first one I traded off and did the copy and tweek to the ad. Too long winded I know but then us old guys just gotta share for the benefit of the youngun's who just don't have a clue what life was like before GLOCK, LOL........

the person that i leaned how shoot from all used to tell me that some of the greatest guns where made in the old days, i never owened gun that as old as me or younger always had be older ;) i love the oldies

Is the serial number gone off of the butt? I know the Feds take serious issue with removal of that serial number on the frame (doesn't matter if it is anywhere else because those parts can be replaced).

Hahahahahahaha, good one guys - this made for a funny chuckle ..............

The Serial Number is not gone, As I Stated in the Description all Four of the Five Serial numbers are on the firearm and in the location they were placed when built by S&W back in the 1940's. The only S/N not on this piece is the one that was stamped into the original wood grips which were replaced at some point during the last 65+ years before I bought this one.

You are very correct in that the Fed's along with ANY & ALL Law Enforcement Agency's take serious issue with removal of that serial number on the frame, I know this from first hand knowledge being a duly sworn State of Georgia Peace Officer and former L.E. Investigator.

When buying, selling or trading any item with a serial number that you plan to post photo's of you will most likely at some point cross paths with a seasoned con artist that will do his best to scam you. When looking at ad's here on the ODT you will see many, many ODT members who are aware of this and cover the serial number with a piece of paper or folks like me who just simply use photo shop (or a similar program) to "blot out" the serial number or at least the last three or four digits before posting the photo's of the serialized item for sale.

Have a great day gentlemen - and "David LaPell" welcome to the ODT, this is a fun place to be and the home of some fine stuff to own !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom