• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Xtreme Bullets too big??

Cobalt 60

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
118   0
Reaction score
So I bought some 200 gr. Flat point .45s. Loaded them no problem. Then I tried them out at the range. They chamber most of the way and then stop. Then I can't hardly rack the slide to get the round out.

Changed over to my Berry's 200 gr. round nose. No problem.

If it were not for the round getting stuck, I would chalk it up to the bullet shape. I have not mic'd these yet, but not sure my cheapo dial caliper is going to be precise enough anyway.

Anyone else be have this issue?

Had that issue with some cast bullets 230g lead they would hit the rifling in the xds but cycle fine in my other 45s shortened the oal just a bit and they worked fine

Yep. That appears to be it. Loaded to min. OAL on the load data I have. However, when dropping a round in the chamber the bullet appears to be engaging the rifling very solidly before it goes into full battery. I can shorten these, but will be a fair amount under the min. OAL.

Think I'll stick with round nose from here on out.

I agree with Clarke above...check OAL . If the dial caliper you have is cheap(quality) ...throw that S.O.B. away and get something accurate !! Loading isn't where you want to skimp on accuracy. A decent quality dial caliper can be had for less than $50... I've only got $20 in mine. They only measure...it's not like they have to perform miracles. I prefer analog over digital. Less costs and less chance of failure. JMHO.

I agree with Clarke above...check OAL . If the dial caliper you have is cheap(quality) ...throw that S.O.B. away and get something accurate !! Loading isn't where you want to skimp on accuracy. A decent quality dial caliper can be had for less than $50... I've only got $20 in mine. They only measure...it's not like they have to perform miracles. I prefer analog over digital. Less costs and less chance of failure. JMHO.

Mine is a dial, but can really only give accurate measurement down to hundredths. For thousands it is kind of a guess as the markings are so close it is either on a mark or between them.

That being said the bullets mic'd out to .45 and just a touch over - I would put it at about .452. So that is not it. The problem appears to be the OAL.

Mine is a dial, but can really only give accurate measurement down to hundredths. For thousands it is kind of a guess as the markings are so close it is either on a mark or between them.

That being said the bullets mic'd out to .45 and just a touch over - I would put it at about .452. So that is not it. The problem appears to be the OAL.
Yeah I understand you there... The overall length for that particular projectile should have a min and max. ( I know you know this) you are saying it's on the min side and still too long? That the projectile is extending into the groves of the bbl past the throat? If s , I don't see a prob with seating a tad deeper. Like you said. Then using RN from here on out. But I've never had a prob with FN ...but then again , I cast everything myself. Good luck .....:)

Back
Top Bottom