• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

F-100 Rebuild

12AB9053-50B9-4EE1-8126-586C2C32ECDB.jpeg
At least she’s all one color on the outside now...

If you guys run into a snag on these trucks you should check out West Atlanta Hot Rods in Tallapoosa. He specializes in these trucks and can probably help you get over any bumps in the road that you may encounter. He’s building my dads 53 Ford truck now. It’s amazing the resources and knowledge he has with these things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks good!

Attached a photo of my upcoming project. 1953, F-100.

Got any advice?
It may just be me, but this truck has set for several years for a couple of reasons. One was life, 2 kids drained the play money budget and the financial meltdown made work tough.

The other was getting caught up in all the custom stuff. Everything I originally wanted to do cost mega bucks and takes a lot of time. Frame off restoration, engine and front end swaps, custom suspension, perfect body work and paint, etc.

Finally, I just got tired of it sitting, so I grabbed some paint, and started putting it all back together. I came around to the idea that having a cool old truck didn’t mean I had to build some Barret Jackson custom candy coated dream. I just want to cruise up the the pub, down to the drive-in, and in the local parade.

IMO, build what you want, but make sure you are realistic. If you want a custom show car, prepare to drop serious cash, then prepare for more than you are thinking. If you just want an old truck to cruise around, throw perfection to the wind and just build it. I have found the latter more fun.

It may just be me, but this truck has set for several years for a couple of reasons. One was life, 2 kids drained the play money budget and the financial meltdown made work tough.

The other was getting caught up in all the custom stuff. Everything I originally wanted to do cost mega bucks and takes a lot of time. Frame off restoration, engine and front end swaps, custom suspension, perfect body work and paint, etc.

Finally, I just got tired of it sitting, so I grabbed some paint, and started putting it all back together. I came around to the idea that having a cool old truck didn’t mean I had to build some Barret Jackson custom candy coated dream. I just want to cruise up the the pub, down to the drive-in, and in the local parade.

IMO, build what you want, but make sure you are realistic. If you want a custom show car, prepare to drop serious cash, then prepare for more than you are thinking. If you just want an old truck to cruise around, throw perfection to the wind and just build it. I have found the latter more fun.
We did a body off resto on my 73 F100 back in 2001. I was paranoid to drive it until it got its first body ding. The rest hurt less lol. Since then shes done everything from being stuck in 4’ of mudd (by accident, long story) to taking multiple trips heavily loaded to the landfill and hauled 10+ tons of firewood. Trucks are made to work. She still looks an easy 8/10 and I dont abuse her by any means, but she gets worked like she should.

I don’t do a lot that will require the truck to “work”. Maybe grab a few things that don’t fit in the 4Runner from time to time. I just want a cool old ride to tool around in that is low tech.

Back
Top Bottom