• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Y'all be careful if you bait...

Thanks for the heads up but I’ve never hunted over bait.... ever.

I’ve always scouted the land, tracked the animals, and set up shop waiting for the right shot to present itself.

I suppose there are guys who drive to a heated stand, sip on Coors Light, and wait for the deer to come to them. To me, that’s pathetic.

That is pathetic, Coors is more of a summer time floating the river type beer. During the cooler hunting season months I like something a little heavier, with more flavor and doesn't make me pee as much.

That is pathetic, Coors is more of a summer time floating the river type beer. During the cooler hunting season months I like something a little heavier, with more flavor and doesn't make me pee as much.

Typically I bring some of my kids oatmeal bars, gallon ziplock bag of venison jerky, and a few grape Gatorades.... beer/heated box not so much.

Thanks for the heads up but I’ve never hunted over bait.... ever.

I’ve always scouted the land, tracked the animals, and set up shop waiting for the right shot to present itself.

I suppose there are guys who drive to a heated stand, sip on Coors Light, and wait for the deer to come to them. To me, that’s pathetic.

I absolutely agree... Who, I mean who drinks Coors Light?

I was talking to some guys down at my property this weekend and apparently there have been several citations issued by the local warden for hunting over bait. Yes it is now legal but if you lease land then you must have written permission from the landowner to bait. You guys may have known this but for those that dont FYI...
Probably the same game warden that was sitting in my living room a few weeks ago when I came in from hunting. He is a nice guy, just doing his job. He knows that we do things " by the book" at our farm, and this was just a social visit. He did remind me that if we baited on the property that we lease, that is adjacent to our land, that we had to have permission from the landowner. Not a problem, as we choose not to bait.

I will be hunting over bait this year but there’s almost a 100% chance I will not shoot a deer (not 100% because a Monster may step out) . I do look forward to watching on my land which I am most proud of just watching and relaxing.

I think everyone around my property is using bait this year.

There are plenty of deer eating the fruit from tress so I know they’re there but haven’t seen them come through my kill zone much at all so I’m thinking they’re camping out at the feeders.
I still have plenty deer
Meat from last season so I’m in no hurry.

One of my friends from Atlanta gave the following explanation on "baiting" (Yes, she's a Democrat)

The State's reasoning on allowing "Baiting" is that there is a severe overpopulation of deer.
Getting the public to feed them, in exchange for killing some of them is the "rest of the story".

I was talking to some guys down at my property this weekend and apparently there have been several citations issued by the local warden for hunting over bait. Yes it is now legal but if you lease land then you must have written permission from the landowner to bait. You guys may have known this but for those that dont FYI...
I spoke with the DNR officer who works my County and he said that the email from the Timber Company would suffice as written permission. It may benefit you all to call and check for yourselves though. That’s one less piece of paper that my guys will need to keep on their person.

in my humble opinion, perhaps they should start focusing MORE for poachers and trespassers VS harassing a law following citizen. "Follow local hunting laws" written in a lease is arguably "following the law" of the right to bait.
A lawyer would be able to argue this fact and perhaps prevail in court.

just my 2 mexican peso's. Your mileage may vary.

Back
Top Bottom