• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Yall remember your first Pilot Log?

When my BIL was flying, he was in a group who had their own plane. Can’f remember the make/model but it was a low wing With a sliding canopy and a castering nosewheel. We used to fly with him, and it also could be fun to land and taxi.

Gear up as in get your s*** together. It's not like you are going for a casual cruise in a Cessna. There is a certain way that you have to do everything from tieing your shoes to climbing into the seat. Your emergency parachute has to be fastened a certain way. The shoulder/waist belts have to be just right. You have to make sure your helmet is on just right. The cords from your headset have to be tucked away just right. You need to make sure to tighten the ratchet straps around your waist evenly so that your ass is perfectly centered in the seat. You have to triple check that NOTHING is lose inside the cockpit. You're about to go on the wildest ride of your life and any tiny mistake could be disastrous

I just landed and had a great practice flight. My hammerheads and spins were a little sloppy but my half loops and wedges with 2 point rolls were just about perfect. Can't wait to take home another medal at the next competition!
I was referring to Pitt's being fixed gear and not retractable as far as I can remember. Never been an aerobatic pilot even though I played with one of the old Cessna Areobats doing some rolls and loops. My father was my instructor as he was one in The Army Air Corp starting in 1942 I think. He taught me how to fly and spin that Super Cub which I don't even think they teach that to students today. I spun that Cub probably a hundred different times and knew what I was doing.
One of my most eventful spins is that a friend that knew nothing about airplanes and flying and I set out to take that Cub to 18,000 ft and we did with portable oxygen. Don't remember how long it took but it was a while but not to bad.
When I got to FL 18, I asked him and decided to spin it to the ground!! I started spinning and went a good many turns and recovered, flew straight and level for a bit then did it again all the way to about 1000' AGL (with a recovery then straight and level for a bit). I never got dizzy or disoriented and knew I would not or I would not have done it. I loved every spin and so did my friend.

I was referring to Pitt's being fixed gear and not retractable as far as I can remember. Never been an aerobatic pilot even though I played with one of the old Cessna Areobats doing some rolls and loops. My father was my instructor as he was one in The Army Air Corp starting in 1942 I think. He taught me how to fly and spin that Super Cub which I don't even think they teach that to students today. I spun that Cub probably a hundred different times and knew what I was doing.
One of my most eventful spins is that a friend that knew nothing about airplanes and flying and I set out to take that Cub to 18,000 ft and we did with portable oxygen. Don't remember how long it took but it was a while but not to bad.
When I got to FL 18, I asked him and decided to spin it to the ground!! I started spinning and went a good many turns and recovered, flew straight and level for a bit then did it again all the way to about 1000' AGL (with a recovery then straight and level for a bit). I never got dizzy or disoriented and knew I would not or I would not have done it. I loved every spin and so did my friend.

Yeah I know what you meant. And yeah the pitts is fixed gear.

Man that's awesome. I've got a lot it time in a regular J-3 Cub but I never spun it

Yeah I know what you meant. And yeah the pitts is fixed gear.

Man that's awesome. I've got a lot it time in a regular J-3 Cub but I never spun it
If I remember correctly there was a large commuter turbo left New Jersey and got into some icing crashing in NY. Long story short, the aircraft stalled and spun and I don't think either pilot knew how to recover. Killed all on board and some on the ground. Sad. EVERY pilot should know that procedure.

100% Pilot Error IMO
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colgan_Air_Flight_3407

If I remember correctly there was a large commuter turbo left New Jersey and got into some icing crashing in NY. Long story short, the aircraft stalled and spun and I don't think either pilot knew how to recover. Killed all on board and some on the ground. Sad. EVERY pilot should know that procedure.

100% Pilot Error IMO
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colgan_Air_Flight_3407

Yep. Colgan air, a subcontractor for American Eagle. I did a case study on that when I was in flight school. They were both low time pilots. If I remember correctly each of them only had about 300 hours. They were exhausted due to pilots having to commute cross-country to make their flights. That crash caused a number of different changes in the FAA requirements for airline pilots. Now pilots have a set time that they can be on duty and a time that they have to rest. Airline pilots also have to have a minimum of 1500 hours and an ATP rating. Overall a good change for the aviation industry however it has led to a shortage of pilots in the airlines

Yep. Colgan air, a subcontractor for American Eagle. I did a case study on that when I was in flight school. They were both low time pilots. If I remember correctly each of them only had about 300 hours. They were exhausted due to pilots having to commute cross-country to make their flights. That crash caused a number of different changes in the FAA requirements for airline pilots. Now pilots have a set time that they can be on duty and a time that they have to rest. Airline pilots also have to have a minimum of 1500 hours and an ATP rating. Overall a good change for the aviation industry however it has led to a shortage of pilots in the airlines
It did not seem that either pilot knew what the aircraft was doing and why and kept pulling back on the stick or whatever controls the aircraft had. A natural reaction if you are headed straight down. They need to be trained how to get out of that situation........alive.

Back
Top Bottom