• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Yall remember your first Pilot Log?

It was a sad day when I had to lay to rest a great Brother, Nam Knight America MC member of my chapter...Last time he flew was for Atlas, He called my from Kuwait and said he would not be coming to our next meeting, due to being grounded there..I started flying in a 195 CessnaTail draggier, back in the 60's with another Brother. I learned how to fly from him,,I still remember the tail numbers..N9891A he belonged to Sun Flying Club out of Opa Locka in Miami. I loved the fly in's to River Ranch by Okeechobee Fla..I did not even get a License until I came back from Nam..I had to take lessons in a 150 for certification Boring!!!..They pretty well fly themselves..Those days are long pass me, but I did love doing it, and still miss it today!! God rest your soul, Freight Dog, Ron Moore...I really miss the great times we had together! We laid him to rest at the Georgia National Cemetery in Canton...His crypt number is B-17 how Ironic, I laughed and cried with his wife..I am really getting tired of saying goodby to so many brothers I love...

It did not seem that either pilot knew what the aircraft was doing and why and kept pulling back on the stick or whatever controls the aircraft had. A natural reaction if you are headed straight down. They need to be trained how to get out of that situation........alive.

Their reaction was mainly due to exhaustion and poor decision-making before they tried to land. They flew into known icing conditions and then when the wings became coated in ice the aircraft stalled. Multiple safety systems including the stick shaker activated correctly however the pilots didn't interpret them. They pulled back on the stick and aggravated the stall. The aircraft dropped a wing and tipped over into a spin which was unrecoverable. if I remember correctly it crashed into a neighborhood and nine people on the ground were also killed.

The accident really happened long before the impact. I think both pilots had been up for more than 23 hours commuting cross country to their flight. A student pilot with less than 40 hours should have been able to recognize that situation and recover from the stall. If you have never flown an airplane before you cannot imagine the level of stress and concentration that are required to deal with that kind of situation. Add sleep deprivation and fatigue and that is a recipe for certain disaster.

Yep. Colgan air, a subcontractor for American Eagle. I did a case study on that when I was in flight school. They were both low time pilots. If I remember correctly each of them only had about 300 hours. They were exhausted due to pilots having to commute cross-country to make their flights. That crash caused a number of different changes in the FAA requirements for airline pilots. Now pilots have a set time that they can be on duty and a time that they have to rest. Airline pilots also have to have a minimum of 1500 hours and an ATP rating. Overall a good change for the aviation industry however it has led to a shortage of pilots in the airlines
I understand about low time and fatigue but it does not appear that they knew HOW to recover from a stall or tail spin by pushing the controls forward and stop pulling back. I remember talking to some new pilots in the 80' or 90's and said they were never taught how to recover from a spin.

It was a sad day when I had to lay to rest a great Brother, Nam Knight America MC member of my chapter...Last time he flew was for Atlas, He called my from Kuwait and said he would not be coming to our next meeting, due to being grounded there..I started flying in a 195 CessnaTail draggier, back in the 60's with another Brother. I learned how to fly from him,,I still remember the tail numbers..N9891A he belonged to Sun Flying Club out of Opa Locka in Miami. I loved the fly in's to River Ranch by Okeechobee Fla..I did not even get a License until I came back from Nam..I had to take lessons in a 150 for certification Boring!!!..They pretty well fly themselves..Those days are long pass me, but I did love doing it, and still miss it today!! God rest your soul, Freight Dog, Ron Moore...I really miss the great times we had together! We laid him to rest at the Georgia National Cemetery in Canton...His crypt number is B-17 how Ironic, I laughed and cried with his wife..I am really getting tired of saying goodby to so many brothers I love...

You flew over me several times from Opa Locka if you flew up Victor Airway 267 from the Pahokee VOR to the Orlando VOR. River Ranch was just to the NW of where I lived and worked.

Their reaction was mainly due to exhaustion and poor decision-making before they tried to land. They flew into known icing conditions and then when the wings became coated in ice the aircraft stalled. Multiple safety systems including the stick shaker activated correctly however the pilots didn't interpret them. They pulled back on the stick and aggravated the stall. The aircraft dropped a wing and tipped over into a spin which was unrecoverable. if I remember correctly it crashed into a neighborhood and nine people on the ground were also killed.

The accident really happened long before the impact. I think both pilots had been up for more than 23 hours commuting cross country to their flight. A student pilot with less than 40 hours should have been able to recognize that situation and recover from the stall. If you have never flown an airplane before you cannot imagine the level of stress and concentration that are required to deal with that kind of situation. Add sleep deprivation and fatigue and that is a recipe for certain disaster.
I also understand it is very difficult to recover from a stall in a larger and heavier aircraft. I have brought a Piper Turbo Aztec D to the shudder but went no more before recovering. Have done the same with a 680 FL Grand Commander. It ain't the same as a 150.

I also understand it is very difficult to recover from a stall in a larger and heavier aircraft. I have brought a Piper Turbo Aztec D to the shudder but went no more before recovering. Have done the same with a 680 FL Grand Commander. It ain't the same as a 150.

I've never flown anything that big before but then again the idea of avoiding a stall seems a little foreign to me as well. I focus on getting the timing just right so that when I pop the stick back to dump the air from under the wings I can immediately choose which direction I want it to spin into and give it a little bit of rudder to help it fall down. As the nose slides down under the horizon I pull the stick back even farther to accelerate it. (when the Pitts spins it really f***ing SPINS) Once you've had your desired number of rotations, stop it with opposite rudder push the stick forward until the nose is pointed straight down at the ground and slam the throttle into the firewall. Keep accelerating on the vertical downline and count 1-2-3 to put you around 150-160mph. Squeeze your legs and your abs as hard as you can and keep breathing as you roll on 4-5 g's to pull out. A tiny bit of left rudder helps to keep you straight as you come back to straight and level and go into your next figure.

It's even more fun when you do it inverted.

Hearing g a Japanese Zero flying over this morning made me think of this thread and all you guys flying ,or have flown around up there ;)

There's a couple airports nearby and a couple private strips ,so I don't know where he's out of . I'm betting Peachtree City !

Hearing g a Japanese Zero flying over this morning made me think of this thread and all you guys flying ,or have flown around up there ;)

There's a couple airports nearby and a couple private strips ,so I don't know where he's out of . I'm betting Peachtree City !

Wow do you have any pics? If I remember correctly there are only three Japanese Zeros still flying in the entire world. If it really was a real Zero that is absolutely amazing

Back
Top Bottom