• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Yall remember your first Pilot Log?

My FIL flew a good bit, just one of his many hobbies, he’s an Ob/Gyn. Think he said he has 1000ish hrs, but plane just sits in hanger. He could care less. Barron B58.

1F71788A-CDCD-4FBE-906E-9B5CFD3F10D9.jpeg

My Grandad let me fly a couple of his planes when I was a boy. With his very close supervision, of course. We would take off and land across the back field. Looking back I wish I would have pursued flying more. I liked it, but I never loved it.

He had to look at a lot of dirty poonanners to pay for that thing. Probably worth it

You know it. Popping them babies out in the hay day was like money growing on trees, now the lawsuits are stupid crazy. He retired from the OB part and does just GYN, crap load of surgeries. We used to fly to the Bahamas cause he was bored. Now he has like 50 RC planes lol.

Awesome man. I need to catch up on my flight log, I'm a few flights behind. I'm actually at the airport right now getting ready to gear up and take off.

This is what I've been flying in aerobatic competitions for the last few years, a Pitts Special. It's a handful and it really keeps you on your toes, especially on landing. However it turns the sky into your playground. Flying is a lot more fun when you're upside down and spinning!

View attachment 2917870
LOL
When I used to go to PDK and sit on the observation deck, there was a Doctor who had a bright yellow one.
All painted up with Doctor (forgot his name) Eye Surgeon in huge black lettering.
Every time he landed, I held my breath and said a little prayer for him, ‘cause it was the definition of squirrelly

They are neat aerobatic airplanes for sure. I always wanted to fly one.
"Gear up" in a Pitt?

Gear up as in get your s*** together. It's not like you are going for a casual cruise in a Cessna. There is a certain way that you have to do everything from tieing your shoes to climbing into the seat. Your emergency parachute has to be fastened a certain way. The shoulder/waist belts have to be just right. You have to make sure your helmet is on just right. The cords from your headset have to be tucked away just right. You need to make sure to tighten the ratchet straps around your waist evenly so that your ass is perfectly centered in the seat. You have to triple check that NOTHING is lose inside the cockpit. You're about to go on the wildest ride of your life and any tiny mistake could be disastrous

I just landed and had a great practice flight. My hammerheads and spins were a little sloppy but my half loops and wedges with 2 point rolls were just about perfect. Can't wait to take home another medal at the next competition!

LOL
When I used to go to PDK and sit on the observation deck, there was a Doctor who had a bright yellow one.
All painted up with Doctor (forgot his name) Eye Surgeon in huge black lettering.
Every time he landed, I held my breath and said a little prayer for him, ‘cause it was the definition of squirrelly

Man ain't that the truth. Landing a Pitts is one of the hardest things I've ever done. Those stubby little wings are great for aerobatics but they don't glide at all. It's like falling out of the sky sideways at over 100mph and trying to hit the runway just right. Because of the approach angle you have to do it without seeing anything either. The engine and lower wing block your view entirely.

Roll out after landing is like steering a tricycle backwards at 90mph while wearing a blindfold. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Needless to say, the insurance on this airplane isn't cheap

Back
Top Bottom