• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Yamaha help

the lackster

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
0   0
Reaction score
Hello, looking for help with my 70 tlrr. It cranks and idles without an issue whatsoever but when i start easing into the throttle it bogs down and will cut off if i keep pushing it. It doesn't sputter or skip, it just falls on it's face but if i back off the throttle its fine. Once it has ran for a while it will finally decide it wants to run and will get on plane and run wide open, seems to be worse in cooler temps. I have pulled the carbs for cleaning and ordered new parts. I did notice when i took the bowl off the bottom carburetor that the rubber plug was not in the pilot jet hole. Could this cause an issue? Either way i have the replacement in the mail. Also when the boat is in neutral should the timing indicator on the side of the motor be lined up on 1 of the 2 lines or in between? I am extremely novice with boat motors and looking for help. I attached a picture of the plugs if this helps with a diagnosis. These are new plugs that have been ran a couple times on short trips. I am hoping the clean carbs will make an improvement but wanted to see if there could possibly be another issue that i might need to be working on while waiting on parts to ship. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!!

So far i have recently
- replaced tank to motor line "bulb included"
- cleaned fuel strainer and bowl
- drained and cleaned fuel tank
- new NGK spark plugs " gap checked by Yamaha dealer"
20210315_190630.jpg
20210313_175256.jpg
20210315_190630.jpg

I’m not a boat mechanic, but those plugs look like it’s running way rich....

I agree, but if you want to evaluate mixture by the plug color you really need to cut the engine while it's running at the throttle / load condition you want to check, (ie full throttle etc). If you idle back to the dock, idling mixture is what you'll see.

Sounds like a carb problem, based on the description. Does it have a manual choke ? If so, does it accelerate better when cold if you add some choke or does that make it worse ?

I agree, but if you want to evaluate mixture by the plug color you really need to cut the engine while it's running at the throttle / load condition you want to check, (ie full throttle etc). If you idle back to the dock, idling mixture is what you'll see.

Sounds like a carb problem, based on the description. Does it have a manual choke ? If so, does it accelerate better when cold if you add some choke or does that make it worse ?
It has the prime start fuel enrichment on the side of the second carburetor. I have ran it in auto and in a close position and it acts roughly the same. If i turn it to the emergency fuel enrichment it will flood pretty quickly.

Also this motor is running off 50:1 premix it does not have the precision blend on it.

It sounds like you want to start with getting the carbs cleaned thoroughly, or rebuilt. So easy to get a leak or a tiny blockage.
carbs are taken apart and new parts should be here tomorrow. I couldn't see through one of the pilot jets after i sprayed carb cleaner up in it. Stuck a piece of 50lb test line up in there and it appears to be clear now. Hopefully this was one of the issues.

Back
Top Bottom