• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Yearling Deer

BIKER13

Hen of Fame Lifetime Supporter
Indians wont bother you now cuz you are touched
1344   0
Reaction score
Why do people shoot 6 month old deer? Its obvious they are young deer of the year and not much meat on em.To me they are fun to watch cause they will do some stupid stuff.Oh yeah,they are tender.Nah,something else.

because some folks will just shoot the first thing they see. Had some guy my family knows tell me about a buck he bagged this year...ended up being a little 50 pounder knot head. ...not even worth gutting...

I'd prefer to let em walk and take a nice yearling doe to fill the freezer

Last edited:
It doesn't take any longer to get one in the cooler than a mess of squirrel. I do that often and for much less meat. You can fit a whole shoulder in the crock pot. Cook it down with cream of mushroom, taters and onions. Serve over rice.

I think it's easier to answer why you wouldn't. Prolly has something to do with antler farming.

I think it's easier to answer why you wouldn't. Prolly has something to do with antler farming.

i would say you don't shoot because it will be twice the meat next year and only slightly tougher, but for me i just grind all but the back strap up into hamburger meat so. seems like i would be better to wait. but then again i don't know anything ive only been hunting twice(my first year) but i did kill 2 bucks(all i saw, im a meat hunter.)

I have said before and I will say it again... If its brown its down... I have a pile of kids and I need the supplement of the meat.. I won't break any laws of course as far as shooting more than my tags allow of buck. I will however let a baby buck walk it just don't feel right to drop one that has buttons on its head.. past that its on the dinner table..

i would say you don't shoot because it will be twice the meat next year and only slightly tougher, but for me i just grind all but the back strap up into hamburger meat so. seems like i would be better to wait. but then again i don't know anything ive only been hunting twice(my first year) but i did kill 2 bucks(all i saw, im a meat hunter.)

This is sorta off-topic, but you might like to know. The sirloin from the hams makes great steaks or roasts. Then there's the tenderloin: http://www.ski-epic.com/2006_montana_hunting/p47b_deer_tenderloin.jpg Best meat on the animal. On a yearling they aren't any bigger than a hot dog, but I'd still gut a deer for free to get them. Deer liver and heart aren't bad either. I like the liver fried or converted into catfish and fried. Heart smoked and sliced thin makes a great sammich.

I have no idea. Smallest buck I have ever shot was a 4-pt. that was 150 on the scale at the cooler before dressing.

I let a couple of small bucks walk this year...and unfortunately failed to get a shot off on a nice 8-pt. There's always next year...

Back
Top Bottom