• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Yearling Deer

This is sorta off-topic, but you might like to know. The sirloin from the hams makes great steaks or roasts. Then there's the tenderloin: http://www.ski-epic.com/2006_montana_hunting/p47b_deer_tenderloin.jpg Best meat on the animal. On a yearling they aren't any bigger than a hot dog, but I'd still gut a deer for free to get them. Deer liver and heart aren't bad either. I like the liver fried or converted into catfish and fried. Heart smoked and sliced thin makes a great sammich.

thanks ill get them on my next deer.

My son shot one last Saturday. Once he walked the 275 yds to where it lay he remarked "I screwed up" At 275 he thought it was a shooter doe. Honest mistakes happen. (Awesome shot by the way.)

Actually killing yearlings is more productive if you've deer with good pedigree. As is killing spikes. It helps stabilize and weed out disease and the genetic retards and inbreeds. Ever wonder why your harvest record has so many anterless? It's worse to kill a mature doe, because one mature doe can produce many more bucks, especially if they're of good pedigree/racks/healthy. Though it's not as "cool" to shoot them. Big deal if you're hunting for meat, then you're not hunting for racks. If you're hunting for racks then why would you shoot a mature buck producing doe? Logic is all screwed up here. But a hell of a shot.

My cousin Joe, shot a doe and yearling (1 shot 2 kills, right outta Tom berringer's sniper) shot with a .270 Browning at 257yds ranging with my Leopauld rangefinder last Nov.

That's like hanging your deer upside down to first gut it then quarter it. You shouldn't ever have to gut a deer to remove the edibles, less the ribs, but there's so little meat there it's not worth the trouble. But hell if you've got the free time go for it.

Oh and you can get to the tenderloins by removing two ribs and literally yanking them out. Just bone the shoulders & hams at the joints. Carve the back strap & you can even remove the neck roast if you want, though you must skin first, easiest is to start at the front legs, up to neck ring it & cut holes for hand grips and pull it from the carcass unit you're most the way down the belly then carve slits around the hind legs and continue to pull/seperate hide downward. Use lopers/bonesaw to remove hooves at the knees.

Hang it upright by a slipknot around the neck, do not risk meat contamination as there is no need + it's the quickest method. If you're experienced you can be done in 20-25 mins conservative estimate start to finish.

Last edited:
As long as I can make sure it's not a button buck, I like to take one yearling doe each season. It is my "veil" of venison for the year. I have even passed up a mature doe a couple of times and taken the yearling instead. I do this once I have a couple of mature deer already in the freezer.

A doe is a doe to me as long as it's over 50 lbs or so it's going down. I wont shoot a deer smaller then that because I hunt for food if there's not enough on the deer to fill a corner of one of my freezers there's no point in killing it.

Back
Top Bottom