• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Yesterday Evening Hunt

IceColdEric

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
18   0
Reaction score
Yesterday evening was a good one for me. I did not bag a deer although I had an opportunity at a doe I did not take it. Final count was 1 small jake, 5 does, praying mantis, descent buck and 1 Swamp Donkey (I believe to be a 10pt)! After the does had left I heard something walking down the creek. It was a descent buck. A few mins later I heard another taking the same route. It was him! I had my binoculars up and he stopped right beside me looking straight at me. I guess my subconscious was telling me I can't see him so he can't see me. WRONG!! I dropped my binoculars just enough to look with my naked eye and I spooked him! He hauled ass back up the creek! It was so dark I couldn't have shot even if I wanted to so I had no intentions of even trying. I had to use my binoculars to see the deer 15 yards from me.

I hope I did not spook him bad enough to prevent future opportunity!
IMG_2790.JPG

IMG_2797.JPG

Yesterday evening was a good one for me. I did not bag a deer although I had an opportunity at a doe I did not take it. Final count was 1 small jake, 5 does, praying mantis, descent buck and 1 Swamp Donkey (I believe to be a 10pt)! After the does had left I heard something walking down the creek. It was a descent buck. A few mins later I heard another taking the same route. It was him! I had my binoculars up and he stopped right beside me looking straight at me. I guess my subconscious was telling me I can't see him so he can't see me. WRONG!! I dropped my binoculars just enough to look with my naked eye and I spooked him! He hauled ass back up the creek! It was so dark I couldn't have shot even if I wanted to so I had no intentions of even trying. I had to use my binoculars to see the deer 15 yards from me.

I hope I did not spook him bad enough to prevent future opportunity!
View attachment 909241
View attachment 909242

I think I'd move from that spot, even if it was just a little ways...

I got busted twice on sunday 1 big doe and a big buck they took off blowing and snorting. they wound up coming back a few hrs later, I didn't shoot it was just cool to watch them. he will be back

Sucks getting busted.....it's personal......lol.

Definitely hit a different spot near where he came from and intercept him there.
He won't be back near your spot for a while (in daylight) at least.

Ground was soft last evening and I could hear anything moving other than extremely noisy birds for the last couple days.
I was able to see a very large, single deer shadow moving quickly through a heavy deer trail about 60 yards away after it was too dark to shoot.

I'm gonna try to intercept that spot tonight.

Back
Top Bottom