• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Yesterday's M1D CMP Find.

Lawdog734

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
21   0
Reaction score
I've had an M84 scope sitting on my shelf for several years that I've always had the intent to use as an excuse to build up an M1D. I know the M1D's were never really anything special as far as sniper weapons go, but I've always had a hankering for one. The more I thought about it, the more I decided that I wanted a real CMP M1D and not something that was cobbled together and reading the South Store report on the CMP forums, I saw that they had about 15 rifles to choose from - all rack grade and they were down in Talladega.

Not knowing what to expect of the Rack Grade models, I figured that based on the descriptions on the CMP sight, I was going to find some badly shot out rifles that looks like half of their life was spent being used as an e-tool, but was hoping to find that diamond in the rough. My criteria for selecting was 1, minimal pitting below the woodline. 2, barrel wear and 3, overall appearance/condition. I was also really hoping for a 1951 barrel too since while no guarantee, that's about the best indicator that it may have made it to Korea for the war, anything later and it almost certainly missed out. Most of the M1D's were indeed pretty rough with issue stocks and metal in various states of finish. The muzzles on just about all were tagged at 4+ or worse and the chambers were 7+ or worse. My intent was to select a rifle, slap a Criterion on their for an actual shooter barrel and to save the GI barrel to keep with the receiver - even if shot out, it still has value and if I'm going to have a "sniper" weapon, I might as well have a good barrel on it versus the standard GI fare.

I'm really happy with what I selected and even sorta question what I receive. It's a Winchester M1D and the metal on this particular rifle is in spectacular shape. There isn't a pit mark anywhere and if it wasn't tucked in with all of the other rifles, I would think that CMP was giving a fresh park job to a rack grade to pretty it up for sale. With the exception of the barrel, everything else looks spectacular with very honest, but minimal wear. The finish on everything matches and the gas cylinder still has most of its finish. The trigger group clamps into the stock nice and tight - I struggle opening the trigger group without using a tool.

When I tore it down though is where I found it interesting. Everything looks spectacular and has the previously mentioned parkerizing job that is nice and even. Parts fit TIGHT, that gas cylinder is really on there. The gas cylinder lock overtimes and if I had a few, I'd probably try them to see if I could find one that times better. The lower band is pinned in place. I don't know how common it is, but I have 2 other Garands and was issued numerous Garands when in the Marines in the late 90's and they all never seem to be pinned in place. Handguard fit was nice and tight too.

Looking at the receiver leg, I expected to see some sort of depot rebuild marking, and there are none. Just the draw number for Winchester during WW2. If it's a D, shouldn't it have had a rebuild somewhere? The rear sights have been updated and I'd think that now that the rifle is a D model, it should have been overhauled somewhere.

The barrel on this was listed with a muzzle measurement of 3 and throat of 6. It's a Springfield Armory barrel with the correct drawing number for M1D rifles and was made in January of 1952. Last night I scrubbed the piss out of the barrel and used some JB Bore Bright to really get into it. I found that the CMP number on the muzzle was pretty liberal, as I'm seeing more of a 2.5+ and plenty of good rifling throughout the barrel. It may not be totally shot out yet after all. I still plan on sticking a Criterion on it for shooting and will keep the GI barrel with the rifle.

It's got an HRA bolt, Winchester hammer and all the other big parts are Springfield. The stock doesn't look bad at all. The stock and lower handguard match pretty nicely while the upper handguard looks like it may have come from a different rifle as it's got a slight sheen to it. I'll probably give everything a good cleaning today with 50/50 mineral spirits and some flaxseed oil to see if I can make it look any better.

I don't know where this rifle came from, but if it came from the Philippines with everything else, this must have been some Colonels wall hanger as I'm actually tickled with what I got just for the overall condition of everything.

50196662023_932956523f_k.jpg

50197210381_ceb8d2b219_n.jpg

50197211696_26e17c1ab2_k.jpg

50197476402_86cc07280f_k.jpg

50197477092_6735b4dc7b_n.jpg

50197477442_68c42e1deb_n.jpg

Stunning. Did they have any others left?

There were 15 D's to choose from on Thursday and being rack grade, that number has remained fairly consistent over the past few inventory reports on the CMP page.

There were some decent looking rifles there still - again, being rack grade - they weren't perfect but some definitely looked worse than others. It took me a solid hour of going through guns to determine what I'd take home and then I had it narrowed down to about 3 rifles before ultimately selecting this one.

My Field grade from 6 years ago came in way better as well. Muzzle was advertised as 3 and throat of 5, wasn't even a 2 and 4. Have had others tell me the same about theirs as well.

Nice find!

Back
Top Bottom