• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

YOM Vintage license plates now legal to 1989

roundhouse

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
16   0
Reaction score
For several years you’ve been able to register and display a YOM, Year Of Manufacture license plate on vehicles in Georgia, that were older than 1971

That just got updated and changed to 1989

You can now register and display a YOM tag within 4 years of the car model year

Just did this this morning with two of my old cars
A 65 ford and a 76 Chevy

Hunting for the right plate for the third vehicle , it’s a 74, so I can run a 1970 plate or a 1976 plate

You find a vintage plate and take it to the tag office and they will punch in the number and as long as there is now plate currently in use with that same number , they will register that plate to your car

Up to 1970 the year was stamped into the plate , and the first group of numbers represented the county , by population largest to smallest

in 71 they had 71 stamped in but then you used the renewal stickers every year and they switched to showing the county at the bottom

And they used a different generation of plates about every 5-7 years

11040c86c167b3b3b039b81335f90a0e.jpg

613140d448574217889bafb5afc5c624.jpg
790f7d889974f91c71a4326108311490.jpg

Fantastic news! We have a 74 Corvette Stingray that we wanted a period plate for; what year 70 or 76 are you going to go with for your 74?

Don’t know yet
I might see if I can find a tag that’s actually from my county or a tag number that is interesting

I have a bronco , they all looked alike from 66 to 77
So I can go either way

It would look funny if you had a 71 tag on say a 73 Chevy pickup because any car guy would know that the generation of truck didn’t exist in 71

Also the heavy trucks had new stamped plates every year so you can find some plates with “75” stamped on the corner

You can’t use dealer plates or anything that’s not a normal plate
And the clerk had to go find the supervisor ,
I printed off and took all the OCGA stuff with me but the supervisor knew about it and once they explained it to the clerk , it was done in a few minutes

You have to have an existing current plate or purchase a new plate , and the current modern plate has to be kept in the vehicle , along with all the paperwork

I’m sure there’s a lot of cops that won’t be aware of it yet , so I would definitely keep a copy of the OCGA legislation and all the other stuff in the car in an envelope with the modern plate

Cool...I've run old plates on all my classic cars older than '71

I've got a '72 Dealer plate....

Don’t think they will let you use the dealer plate
Or any other specific plates

I’ve found a couple 7 plates on the internet in just a few minutes
I grew up in Union County but I haven’t found a 131 plate

Here's a listing of the Counties...
http://www.georgiaplates.com/county

I didn’t know that until the other day
We sent my dad a picture of the falcon and the 1965 tag on it and he mentioned that the first number was the county

He was with the DeKalb Police in the 60s and remembered that Dekalb was 2, Fulton was 1, Cobb was 7 etc

He left Dekalb and went to be a DNR Ranger in the late 60s , and was with DNR for 34 years

You can find the correct county number if you want to be authentic
But it’s not a requirement

Alabama still uses numbers for the county
1,2 and 3 and done by population and the rest are done in alphabetical order

Mrs Roundhouse grew up in Monroe county Alabama and their tags all start with “51”

Back
Top Bottom