• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Yote hunting in National Forest

That is about the most disgusting statement I've ever read on these boards. And that's saying something. :mad:
Hunting drunk, in an illegal area, you take a shot another man doesn't want to because he can't identify the target, you shoot the ranger and then refuse to render aid while the man lay dyiing and that's "unfortunate"? Absofreakinglutely DISGUSTING! :mad:

http://www.macon.com/2012/03/20/1956724/hunter-who-killed-federal-officer.html

Yes, unfortunate. Yes, the hunter behaved horribly. That does not change the wrongs that were perpetrated in the name of the law. I liked the deceased as well as anybody from the couple of times I met him. I found it odd that he would sneak around in the dark trying to catch folks driving behind gates or hunting without a license, but he was effective as far as I could tell. I did wonder how that would turn out if he surprised someone that was jumpy or careless. I am not at all surprised he got shot. Other feds I have talked to operate in broad daylight and make it plain who and where they are.

As for the rest of the pile you posted, he behaved oddly to create the situation. Him getting himself shot is no reason for anyone to do anything other than try to get them out of the situation he created as best they can. Acting as an agent of the government, he transgressed against the freedom of the individual by acting outside accepted norms of what we expect from such government employees. If you or I did what he did, it would not have had the same result. Someone from the government does it and you get railroaded and made an example.

Just because a person, who makes a mistake, is from the government there is no reason any citizen should go out of their way to make themselves liable.

Yes, unfortunate. Yes, the hunter behaved horribly. That does not change the wrongs that were perpetrated in the name of the law. I liked the deceased as well as anybody from the couple of times I met him. I found it odd that he would sneak around in the dark trying to catch folks driving behind gates or hunting without a license, but he was effective as far as I could tell. I did wonder how that would turn out if he surprised someone that was jumpy or careless. I am not at all surprised he got shot. Other feds I have talked to operate in broad daylight and make it plain who and where they are.

As for the rest of the pile you posted, he behaved oddly to create the situation. Him getting himself shot is no reason for anyone to do anything other than try to get them out of the situation he created as best they can. Acting as an agent of the government, he transgressed against the freedom of the individual by acting outside accepted norms of what we expect from such government employees. If you or I did what he did, it would not have had the same result. Someone from the government does it and you get railroaded and made an example.

Just because a person, who makes a mistake, is from the government there is no reason any citizen should go out of their way to make themselves liable.
We are obviously talking about two different situations. The one I'm talking about a man was doing his job, was shot and killed by a person who had been drinking, didn't identify his target, 'hunting' (or poaching if you want to define it as illegally hunting) in an area prohibited, who wallked up to him, heard his dyiing gurgles, and then LEFT HIM TO DIE WITHOUT IMMEDIATELY calling for help. I can't think of anything more disgusting. If we were talking about the same situation your pathetic attempts to defend the murder of that man would be just that and your hate for government would have blinded you not only beyond reason but beyond any semblance of humanity deserving of consideration. But obviously we're talking about something different as nobody would defend a murderer like that and blame the victim, regardless of how en vogue it may be.

If you wanted to do it at night you needed to do it before that ranger went crawling around in the bushes at night and before the unfortunate was made to pay for the ranger's mistake.

Please be aware of where you bullets end up after they pass by or through your target.
Rangers Mistake ? Doing his job ? You seem to float down the wrong river ! DNILE

We are obviously talking about two different situations. The one I'm talking about a man was doing his job, was shot and killed by a person who had been drinking, didn't identify his target, 'hunting' (or poaching if you want to define it as illegally hunting) in an area prohibited, who wallked up to him, heard his dyiing gurgles, and then LEFT HIM TO DIE WITHOUT IMMEDIATELY calling for help. I can't think of anything more disgusting. If we were talking about the same situation your pathetic attempts to defend the murder of that man would be just that and your hate for government would have blinded you not only beyond reason but beyond any semblance of humanity deserving of consideration. But obviously we're talking about something different as nobody would defend a murderer like that and blame the victim, regardless of how en vogue it may be.

LSU, you are wasting your time. That guy not only doesn't get it, he's not smart enough to even suspect anything.

OR

He gets it and he is trolling OR he's just the crud.

Those are the only three options and regardless of which is correct, your attempt to communicate with him are useless.

LSU, you are wasting your time. That guy not only doesn't get it, he's not smart enough to even suspect anything.

OR

He gets it and he is trolling OR he's just the crud.

Those are the only three options and regardless of which is correct, your attempt to communicate with him are useless.
Well I realize certain things are incurable but when something that vile and disgustingly false is published about an honorable man, it's hard to sit on your thumbs. You're right though, I suppose any agenda free individual can read the link with the very clear and simple facts and confessions and realize the truth. I guess trolls are going to be trolls especially when there's no ramifications.

OK, I have a slightly different question related to yote hunting. If your intent is to have them mounted, is it still better to go with lower caliber cartridge (22LR/223) or something larger (7.62x39, 7.62x51)?

OK, I have a slightly different question related to yote hunting. If your intent is to have them mounted, is it still better to go with lower caliber cartridge (22LR/223) or something larger (7.62x39, 7.62x51)?
A decent taxidermist can fix 'most' problems. You have to hunt with expanding bullets so punching a hole through one isn't really an option. I guess of what you list, I'd probably use a .223 with the legal bullet least likely to expand I could find. I'd shoot them in the shoulder. My first hand experience says your recovery rate with .22lr isn't going to be good.

A decent taxidermist can fix 'most' problems. You have to hunt with expanding bullets so punching a hole through one isn't really an option. I guess of what you list, I'd probably use a .223 with the legal bullet least likely to expand I could find. I'd shoot them in the shoulder. My first hand experience says your recovery rate with .22lr isn't going to be good.

And I'll just add if you want to mount a yote, find a good taxi ahead of time. There are many taxis that will not do yotes because they stink so bad, and there are others that are just no good. I spoke to an old-timer taxi once, and apparently there is some type of yote specific process for mounting that makes it easier and many of the yungins are not aware of it.

And I'll just add if you want to mount a yote, find a good taxi ahead of time. There are many taxis that will not do yotes because they stink so bad, and there are others that are just no good. I spoke to an old-timer taxi once, and apparently there is some type of yote specific process for mounting that makes it easier and many of the yungins are not aware of it.
Yep, I'll also add the ONE animal I've NEVER seen a truly lifelike mount of is a bobcat. The 2nd worse.... coyote. I don't know why they are so difficult but for some reason... they are. :noidea:

Back
Top Bottom