• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

You never know when that old rifle will show up again

Another reason to buy/sell/trade on ODT.
Yeah, that still doesn't work. I once bought a used gun from local pawn shop and later sold to a member here on ODT. I had verified he had a valid GA drivers license and valid ccw. I get a phone call about 4-6 months later saying it had been recovered in a Gun Smuggling sting in NY. BATFE traced it back to pawn shop then to me. Told them I sold it online in a FTF transaction. They asked if it was on ODT. Told them yes and they asked for the members info, told them could not remember his actual name. They asked for his screen name and as soon as I told them, they said they were aware of him due to him buying from few other ODT members. He was shortly arrested and I'm sure by now, prosecuted. BATFE has access to all sections here on ODT, including private messages.

BATF has access to ODT private messages? That could be embarrassing for some members...
But to the OP : why didn't you get the rifle after it was taken from your nephews house?
And I, for one, know where all my guns are at any given time. Even if I could afford to buy anything & everything I would like I'm pretty sure I wouldn't lose track of or forget that I bought it.

BATF has access to ODT private messages? That could be embarrassing for some members...
But to the OP : why didn't you get the rifle after it was taken from your nephews house?
And I, for one, know where all my guns are at any given time. Even if I could afford to buy anything & everything I would like I'm pretty sure I wouldn't lose track of or forget that I bought it.

Lol, wait till you're old and haven't been in the back of the safe for a decade.
It's like Christmas! :becky:

Most of us DO know where all of our guns are and how many we have. But I know of at least one person that has so many, that he honestly doesn't have the answer. His brother was in the attic looking for something and found 6 S&W revolvers BNIB that had been up there for years and forgotten about.

Most of us DO know where all of our guns are and how many we have. But I know of at least one person that has so many, that he honestly doesn't have the answer. His brother was in the attic looking for something and found 6 S&W revolvers BNIB that had been up there for years and forgotten about.

Incredible!

Of the 47 weapons they took from his house, probably 20 or 25 of them were mine. When his dad died I got rid of a lot of his stuff to help pay funeral bills but didn't touch the gun safes. I had no idea that the two sons split the guns and left the empty locked gun safes behind. I had no idea he had that many until he got in trouble. Tracking my guns after my brother in laws untimely death, turning junk into money to pay his bills and taking care of his wife and my mother that lived with her were more important than putting my hands on my guns. The Madison County Police seized all the weapons at my nephews house and park of my deal was that after I paid the bail and the lawyers and he got the guns back that I would get them all back. Park of the side deal with the police department and the judge and the other attorney was that he forfeit the weapons and the police kept them. (and yes, I am aware that it didn't mean they were going to store them in the evidence locker for ever but I would never accuse them of picking and choosing who got what as I never had eyes on that). So, that is why I didn't get that rifle or any of the others that were mine back. My nephew did not end up with anything on his record so there was no legal reason that I know of why they weren't returned to him and then to me, but I'm not a lawyer. So, I count them all as lost.

I have no idea how many guns I've owned, how many I've sold and how many I've given away (yes, I have armed neighbors and friends who couldn't afford to arm themselves and yes they were all legal to posses weapons and I consider then long term loans but never expect to get them back.) And for everyone that I've armed, I've taken them to the range and spent a lot of time educating them on safety and proper use and usually put 100 or so rounds downrange to make sure they are familiar with how the weapon works.

I've gotten way off track. The whole reason for starting this post was just to say that once you get rid of a gun you really never know when it might make its way back in to your life. Simple thing that just makes you go hmmmm.

It happens. I've bought a few guns on a whim, put them in my safe and got busy for a few months. I had not opened the safe for months because of my schedule. But when I did, like OP said, it was like Christmas.

If Madison County got the guns I can tell you what will happen to them (if it hasn't already).

The nicer ones will end up in the collections of some of the cops that work around here and the rest will be auctioned off. I don't know how often MCSD holds auctions for seized items, but I know a couple of different people that have bought guns at them.

Back
Top Bottom