• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

You think you have bad hunting neighbors?

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
Well this still infuriates me but here goes. (For those with ADD, like me, hopefully someone will post the Cliff Notes).

Yesterday evening me and my 12 year old son are in a stand on my property. Unfortunately a few years ago, the neighboring property owner (who is a GREAT guy) built a rental house but right on the property line. Hey, it’s his property he can do what he wants, but since I only have 8 acres (wedged in amongst much larger acreage all around with no houses) it sort of put a crimp on my set up. In any case, last night legal light there was 5:56. The people that live in the rental house come home at 5:40 or so and blow their horn. The stand I was in is close (100 or so yards) and it was overcast so getting dark a bit early so I just told my son “Well, let’s just get down and head in. I’m guessing nothing will be coming around now after that.” We take a minute gathering our stuff and as I start to climb down I look over and see an 8 pointer under a persimmon tree we’re watching, not 25 yards away. I tell my son (who has never been with me when I shot) to get ready and I shoot it. Almost immediately after I shoot I hear some strange noise from towards the rental house. Sort of like a cough or something (again kind of far so can’t really make it out) and they cut the vocal chords on their dog (these people are prizes) so wasn’t sure if it was the dog or not. In any case I pay it no mind as my son is high fiving me for the buck and start to climb down (and see a crazy doe standing there maybe 10 yards away). The noise doesn’t stop and I eventually realize it’s someone yelling and cussing. I tell my son to go in the cabin and he asks “Why?”. I said, “We’ll I’m going to go see what the issue is and I’m not sure if someone has a problem”.

As I get closer it becomes clear the guy is yelling for/at me. I walk up to my gate that he had been hitting and he proceeds to tell me (screaming) that my shot hit the trees by my gate (which is close to his driveway). He’s standing there with his ex-wife who he lives with (that’s another story). I tell him I don’t see how that’s possible since the line I was shooting is in a different direction but sorry if the shot startled them. He then unleashes a slew of profanities that would make a longshoreman blush and then tells me I’m a liar, I shot “too late”, I’m a “terrible hunter” etc.... I try and get a word in edge wise as calmly as possible informing him that it was not “too late” and legal hours are 30 minutes after sunset which results in more profanities (complete with spittle flying) and him informing me I don’t know the law, more terrible hunter comments, and I’m fairly certain disparaged my heritage somewhere along the way. Now, keep in mind this guy is an alcoholic, has served time (6 months or so last year) has no job and apparently confesses to “anger management issues”. He’s also got probably 70 pounds on me. That was just the beginning. As I’m standing on my side of the gate he and his lovely ex both walk up to me and continue with the yelling and cursing. Their adult son is also there but out of sight on their driveway and he’s there with apparently another man from the voices. I left my rifle in the stand (intentionally) but have a revolver on my hip. The woman reaches up and grabs my jacket at my neck with both hands and attempts to choke me. Then tells me “If you ever hurt me or my kid I’ll kill you!” To be honest I wasn’t sure what in the hell to make out of what was proving to be as bizarre a situation as I’ve ever been in. I was confused about whether this was humorous or whether I should treat this ‘woman’ like the man she apparently wants to be. About this time another man drives up in the driveway and I’m figuring it’s 5 to 1 and going south in a hurry. I look at her as calmly as possible and said “Get your hands off of me.” She hesitates attempting to give me some kind of she-devil stare to which I calmly respond with “Now”. She eventually complies and starts cussing and fussing again and saying something about a bullet hole in her house. I informed her if she has one, it’s not from me and by the way, that’s the first shot I’ve fired all season. She continues with the cussing and mentions “calling the law”. I said “Sounds like a good idea, that’s what I’ll do.” She yelled that said she already had and I said “Great, so will I.” The dispatcher hears them in the background and asks me a few questions.

“Do you have a firearm on you?” I told her I did and she asked where. I told her. Then she asked if I was on their property. I told her “No they are on my property.” To which Mr. Personality responds yelling “I’m not on your **** property I’m on the right way.” (From previous conservations with this guy, he knows everything, just ask him. So apparently power company right of way is public domain, anyway….) He (rental idiot) then asks me where the deer is. “I said “I didn’t go find it but presumably laying in the woods.” To which he responds with more profanities and tells me I’m a liar since If I’d have hit the deer the bullet wouldn’t have gone anywhere else (he’s also obviously a ballistics expert), yells something about “one shot one kill” and I’m thinking “Can this really get any more bizarre?” The only explanation I can come up with is these people were drunk, but I never smelled alcohol.

Finally a sheriff deputy shows up and they go up to his car and tell him their story. I’m still at my gate. He eventually walks over and asks for my license. I give it to him and he asks for theirs. Ms. Congeniality has hers but Mr. Personality has to go get his since his is suspended so he doesn’t keep it on him. While deputy one is checking IDs deputy 2 shows up. Young guy and they consult. He then walks over to me and asks “How’s it going?” Me: “Well, it’s been calmer.” He then quickly tells me “Look, you’re good. You did nothing wrong.” To which I thought about replying “I know.”, but figured probably not the best reply. I then tell him their claims and what actually happened. He asked where the stand was I told him “Come here, I’ll show you. We walk up to the persimmon tree the deer was under and I said “The deer was here, now shine your light over there, that’s my stand. Can you tell me how a bullet from there to here would have done what they said?” He just shook his head and said “It didn’t.” Then he shines his light on the ground and there’s blood. He tracked the deer (and did a pretty good job at it), helped me drag it, and helped me load it in the truck. The guy simply could not have been nicer.
I spoke with the owner/landlord earlier today and they apparently called him over there while I was there. He didn’t know what was going on and I didn’t know he was there. He told me Ms. Congeniality admitted to the deputy she grabbed me and the deputy said, “If he presses charges… you’re going to jail.”

Even though everything has been very civil with these people the VERY FIRST time I met the guy, within 30 seconds, he asked if I hunted I said ‘Yes, do you?” He replied “Yes.” I asked where, he said, "Your place.” I told him we were getting off on the wrong foot. Needless to say, that wasn’t exactly the best way to introduce yourself….

We took the deer to the processor and came home even though the original plan was to stay the night. I’d have enough drama for one trip. I really hate that happened mostly for my son’s sake but also NOW I get to worry about what Mr. and Mrs. Nutbags will do to my place when I’m not there. I love people…..

There’s a couple of guys from here that want to get into hunting that I offered and intend to take up there. That’s the only practical 2 person stand I have. Life’s a party….

There are crazies everywhere. Probably best you didn't press charges, as that would only have escalated and ensured they would do something to your place. Sorry to hear. Maybe he'll get incarcerated again and she'll go find another abusive guy to hang with.

Back
Top Bottom