• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Young Man Afraid Of His Horses

I'm thinking that something is gonna have a golden horsey for a front sight post.... possibly matching the brass frame on a lever gun!!?? I can only hope.

Way back, way back to the 1600s, our family is Powhatan and Wampanoag.

But, we's doin a Revolver! Again! HA! Glad ya'll are still innerested.

Been huntin, still huntin. But tween times just startin this, a shotgun and workin up a boxloader muzzleloading action that fits a ruger 1022 stock all from scratch and all from scrap steel....well....mostly for the box. Stand by. More coming. But tomorrow night I gotta build a brush blind....durn doe busted me 4 times in 4 days hunting archery....same big nanny too.....last time we closed it to 12 yards till she busted me.....I'm gonna get her! She vexes me!

Old ugly crappy aluminum off....new pretty stronger steel on. Done for this evening.....been workin up a shottie too.....and makin a brush blind and putting out corn and ...

i.imgur.com_PXkvTrB.jpg

Ah, The 1860 Army Grip. Longer than the SAA grip (which was as memory serves the 1851 Navy Grip) and longer than the XR3/XR3Red ruger grip. A three finger grip. Long and slim like the Bisley but rolls proper for thumbing back the tall OM hammer. Sweet.

Last time I fitted and 1860 Army Grip it was to a NM Blackhawk. This one will be fitted to an OM Blackhawk. Some differences for the trigger return spring and no hole to drill for the cylinder lock plunger. Should be easier.

As shown in the photo, the Ruger Super Blackhawk grip panel is very close, so close I may not select it and go instead with the VA Dragoon grip panels which are long and large enough to allow fitting to the 1860 Army Grip Frame. Will have to install the frame first and set up the main spring so I can determine if the grip screw falls in the right spot to clear the main spring. Should work, I hope. We'll see.

Big thanks to Lasttombstone for the partial disassembly of his lovely VA Dragoon and mailing the tracings of the grip panels.

I believe, once things are set up and tracings compared again, I'll select the Rich Mercer Wagon Wheels with Arrow carving for the grips but the Rattler in Thorn Bush is another contender....finally, the Pinwheel Flower Carving is also very nice. We shall see....later.

i.imgur.com_ZeayLoX.jpg

Time to rough fit the front sight.

Cut off old ugly, the front blade but leave the base intact.

i.imgur.com_RGJPiv8.jpg

Carefully file down the front base, breaking the edges, until I uncover the original solder hole. Nothing in there but some excess silver solder but its usually right close to center and a good place to check alignment for a screw hole that gets drilled and tapped down to the top surface of the barrel. There is usually a reinforcement pin in front or behind the solder hole that locks the base and barrel together and helps with shear stresses, strengthening the joint. So, I'll use the solder hole and leave the blind pin alone so the joint stays strong as ever.

i.imgur.com_GxdUoeB.jpg

Cut a new 11 degree target crown with a piloted hand tool. The crown is 43 years old.....its time to freshen it up, even if good, theres bound to be a touch of wear on the lands from cleaning rods.....cut it back a bit to restore all the potential accuracy at the muzzle.

i.imgur.com_oJTKIaL.jpg

Fresh. After rebluing, I'll give it another pass or three so it'll remain a silver ring within a black ring. A nice look.

i.imgur.com_OMTI7aO.jpg

I want to carve out a brass base to go between the ramp and the horse but that's another day. Once done, soft solder will secure the screw in front sight and the brass base to the ramp making it as sturdy as can be.

i.imgur.com_sEdW6xE.jpg

Thanks again to Lasttombstone for the turtle shell and slate turkey call. When it ain't turkey season, its lovely to look at and makes a fitting prop for some photos.

i.imgur.com_LtEIoGY.jpg

i.imgur.com_nRrCb1c.jpg

i.imgur.com_mtJ7b8T.jpg

i.imgur.com_C6gAowz.jpg

Back
Top Bottom