• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Your first deer.

24on48hunting

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Deer Hunting Junkie
215   1
Reaction score
Let's hear the story of your first deer:
Mine was killed on Dec 27, 1988. Talbot County, Ga.
Jumped a doe on the way in for the evening hunt. She took off too quick for a shot, but the 6 point buck bedded with her got up a minute later and tried sneaking out the back door. He caught a 3" magnum slug in the shoulder for his mistake. He made it about 100 yards before piling up. I was using a Remington 870 Express 12 gauge with open sights. Best part about it was that my Dad was right there with me.

I started hunting when I was 20 years old. I hunted in South Florida for 21 years (all on WMA's) and saw one deer in that time. A doe that I could not shoot. In 1993, I moved to Georgia and joined a hunting club, in Wilkes County. Opening day of firearms season, Oct 24th, 1993 I shot my first deer. It was a large 3 point buck. I took it with one 180 grain bullet from a Marlin M-336, in .35 Remington, topped with a Bushnell 1.75-5 x 20 wide angle scope. The buck had two leaps left in it, which centered it in the biggest patch of blackberry briers that I have ever seen. I still have scars from dragging him out of there!!

IMG_0477.JPG

Last edited:
Doe in Polk County Ga on grandparents farm, 1985. 2 loads of 00 buck, longest drag of my life, probably a mile. Endorphins and adrenaline helped!

I was 27 and was taken by a student I taught at the high school. Shot a 4pt on an evening hunt out of his stand with a Ruger m77 tang safety 7mag. Dropped in his tracks. That boy and I are still good buddies, hunt and fish together, heck even been in each others weddings.

I was 11. Hunting with my dad in greenville, meriwether county. Saw a spike with a doe. I was so nervous i shot at the spike and hit the tree behind him. Reloaded and dropped him the second shot with dads m77 tang 25-06.

1995, I was 13, in Lamar county. Been going since I was 8 and when I was 12 I could hunt by myself. That morning I saw 2 deer walk right behind my stand and I froze. They walked towards where my dad was and I herd a shot. I was so upset I didnt get a shot. Well 20 mim or so later one of those deer came back around about 50 yards in front of me down by a creek. I just remember thinking its now or never and shot. My dad came over soon after and we found blood. We tracked that deer forever cause he was too excited to wait. Anyways we both got a deer on the same day he was very proud. I got a button buck with a marlin 336 3030. It was my dads first deer gun and its mine now.

About 13 years ago, I bought my first rifle. It was a glenfield 30-30 iron sight lever gun. It was my second deer hunt and was sitting on power lines at redlands WMA. About 30 or so minutes before sun down, I looked up the hill to see a deer running down the hill so I took aim, squeezed slowly and BAM! Down goes the deer at about 100 yards! Couldn't believe I got it but "she" was down! I get up running towards "her".... The closer I got, the smaller " she" got but hey....my first deer so its big to me! I get up to what I thought was a doe to find two lumps on the head...yep I shot a button buck. My buddy standing at the top of the hill yelled....what ya get? With a huge smile and pure excitement, I picked him up by the hind legs, held him up and said...."look at him! I got one!" My buddy yelled back..."what the hell'd ya shoot a yote for?" That's when it hit me...I shot Bambie's little brother....but hey, my first deer!

Back
Top Bottom