• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Your Thoughts on a 5.7x28

I shot the PS 90 bullpup carbine, and it had no recoil.
Like a .22 magnum rifle.
Or .223 fired out of a heavy varmint rifle.
A good bit of noise, but no recoil.

I have no experience with a 5.7 x 28 handgun though.

As an aside, I’d like to see gun companies make bolt action or break-open rifles in this caliber for recreational shooting out to 200 yards and hunting / predator elimination.

I have the pistol in FDE. I prefer all pistols in FDE so I don't know that I can offer a fair opinion but my belief is the FDE have slightly higher resale value. The pistol is big for CC but I have done it. It's weight is a huge advantage in that it is very light, even with a loaded 20 round magazine. Muzzle velocity if very fast. I took it to a weekly bowling pin shoot where I regularly shot a 22 and 9mm pistol and thought I would give it a try. It shot through the bowling pins and barely even caused them to twitch. I shot 10 rounds and thought I had missed until the range officer comment that he though a round or two might have gone through, looking at the bowling pins it appeared all rounds when through.

If you don't like the PS90 there is an AR-57 (which I also have). I love the AR-57 and it uses the PS90 magazines. Empty brass ejects from below.

Don't have the pistol, can't get behind it for self-defense since ATF banned the hot ammo. So, too pricey for a plinker (for me).
Do have an AR57, love it. Soft shooting, 50rd mags, ejects downward through the AR mag well. Ammo can now be found less than $20 per box of 50. Probably wouldn't be my 1st choice in a Zombie Apocalypse, but you can carry twice as much ammo at same weight.

My standard advice on FN 5.7 - You want one, they are great, and if you change your mind you can sell it very quickly.
FDE will be a few dollars more if you are shopping.

Now that I mention it, I have an extra one (black) I need to sell.

I have the pistol in FDE. I prefer all pistols in FDE so I don't know that I can offer a fair opinion but my belief is the FDE have slightly higher resale value. The pistol is big for CC but I have done it. It's weight is a huge advantage in that it is very light, even with a loaded 20 round magazine. Muzzle velocity if very fast. I took it to a weekly bowling pin shoot where I regularly shot a 22 and 9mm pistol and thought I would give it a try. It shot through the bowling pins and barely even caused them to twitch. I shot 10 rounds and thought I had missed until the range officer comment that he though a round or two might have gone through, looking at the bowling pins it appeared all rounds when through.

If you don't like the PS90 there is an AR-57 (which I also have). I love the AR-57 and it uses the PS90 magazines. Empty brass ejects from below.
Does that mean that it would just blow through a bad guy and not expend all of it's energy in him?

Reliable, accurate, very light, great trigger. Safety is a fine motor skill. The issue is not with killing power, but with stopping power from a self defense standpoint. You are most likely going to deploy it at very close range, and you are going to make tiny little holes. I used to carry the FN 5.7 because I believed all the hype. I then had a job for a while where I was conducting FBI protocol Ballistics tests and one day after the shoot, I conducted it on my Five-Seven pistol. I sold it shortly after. I sometimes wish I had kept it and suppressed it and put a red dot on it, but I wouldn't use it for self defense.

Back
Top Bottom