• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Your Thoughts on Primer Brands

Vincent Vega

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
438   0
Reaction score
It seems I have primers made by just about every major manufacturer and there for a while I bought whatever I needed based on what was available. I guess I really don't have a loyalty to one over brand over the other. What about you? Do you have a preference and if so why?

I know there are plenty here with more knowledge on this subject, but I've always used Winchester with flawless results. Anything from light spring pistols to large belted magnum rifles. Just use the appropriate primmer. And I've loaded probably @ 80,000 rounds over 31 years.

Only issues I ever had was with CCI 450's- had a few light strikes in two Savage model 12's. There were only about 10 or so out of a 1000 on a pdog hunt. No issues in AR's.
I've only used Fed, Win & CCI. Never tried Wolf or Russian stuff.

So are the Federal primers a little more sensitive?
I think so. I won't use them in my 1050. Winchesters are what I use most. CCI 34 and 41 for some rifle. CCI pistol primers are dog**** in my opinion. 10-15% failure rate sometimes.

Yeah, that's the word that federal regular primers are tick softer. I have used most all brands. Russian Wolf primers seemed a tick harder to set off-softer pin marks for whatever the reason. It's nice to not need to primer flip them like the others.

The softer small rifle primers will dimple more when firing through an AR and they have harder primers just for that but I tend to stick with anything but federal small rifle.

I have used bench rest primers but to be honest my skill, my rifle I couldn't tell much of a difference. Magnum primers are to be avoided unless the loading dictates it.

Back
Top Bottom