• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Your thoughts on suppressor a for hunting.

i thought this got shot down last year............
It did. Mainly because of mis-information and ignorance about what suppressors actually do. Hunting with suppressors isn't something new. There are many States where it has been legal for quite some time.

i39.tinypic.com_33p655e.png

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=771758#p771758

ETA: Florida is not right on the map they allow non-game animal hunting on private property according to this link: http://myfwc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2781/kw/silencer

Hunting - Using silencers or suppressors.
Answer ID 2781 | Published 11/26/2012 09:55 AM | Updated 11/26/2012 09:55 AM
Can you use silencers or suppressors on firearms when taking wildlife?

On private property only, you may use silencers or suppressors when taking only non-game animals. Such animals include wild hogs, coyotes, raccoons, opossums, armadillos, bobcats, otters, beavers, skunks and nutrias.

Last edited:
This would be a huge plus. I have had my ears rung more than a few times by the guy standing next to me. Maybe if they made it mandated they would make them a non NFA item and you could just walk in do your 4473 and walk out with one. Suppressors being a class 3 item is stupid IMO anyways, along with SBRs. That is another topic all in its own though.

I haven't read it but I guess I've never had the need. Im sure there are valid reasona. If someone is shooting close enough for me to hear it I want to know where they are.

There are absolutely zero valid reasons for why silencers are illegal for hunting. Just like everything else, do not equate what you see in the movies with real life. Nothing other than a subsonic .22 lr will get below 120 db which is about the same sound level as a jack hammer. Silencers merely take 160+ db (permanent hearing damage) and bring it down to the ~130 db level (hearing safe for very brief exposure).

Trust me if you have ever shot a silenced weapon in the woods you will hear it if you are in range.

There are absolutely zero valid reasons for why silencers are illegal for hunting. Just like everything else, do not equate what you see in the movies with real life. Nothing other than a subsonic .22 lr will get below 120 db which is about the same sound level as a jack hammer. Silencers merely take 160+ db (permanent hearing damage) and bring it down to the ~130 db level (hearing safe for very brief exposure).

Trust me if you have ever shot a silenced weapon in the woods you will hear it if you are in range.

Bingo.

This would be a huge plus. I have had my ears rung more than a few times by the guy standing next to me. Maybe if they made it mandated they would make them a non NFA item and you could just walk in do your 4473 and walk out with one. Suppressors being a class 3 item is stupid IMO anyways, along with SBRs. That is another topic all in its own though.

We're talking about the sonic equivalent of a flash hider... no reason to even have a 4473 for them. It's a pipe with washers inside.

We're talking about the sonic equivalent of a flash hider... no reason to even have a 4473 for them. It's a pipe with washers inside.

Very true, but I am thinking they would still want you to fill out some sort of paperwork and make sure you don't have any felonies.

Very true, but I am thinking they would still want you to fill out some sort of paperwork and make sure you don't have any felonies.

I'm sure they would... but there's really no way you can consider a suppressor a 'firearm' like an SBR/SBS. Short of hitting someone with it, it's not a weapon in any way shape or form.

I was hoping this would be the year we might push back on some of this stupid legislation, but it looks like we'll be fighting idiots like the ones this thread is about just to not lose ground.

Back
Top Bottom