• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Your thoughts on traveling with firearm

My pistol goes with me in the car everywhere, PERIOD. I really could care less about any state laws that restrict them. I keep my license and registration on my visor so I would never have to go though things to expose it if I were pulled over for a simple traffic violation. Plus, If I had to use it,I would rather be alive to explain why I had it than be dead and not have to worry about it. Just my 2 cents.

Goes back to that old saying "Id rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6".
YEP!

I travel all over the eastern half of the US and I'll be damn if I don't travel everywhere with at least 1...period

I no longer travel anywhere that is gun-unfriendly. I won`t visit family in Illinois. I won`t go back to DC, though there are things I would still like to see there. I`m retired Air Force, but don`t visit Dobbins or it`s facilities. I would like to hunt on Benning and Stewart but I`m not willing to jump through the hoops required to do so. Also not willing to travel to and from the installations without a carry gun. LOCKED-UP GUNS ARE USELESS. I won`t attend no-guns-allowed venues. Would love to see the Celtic Women at the Fox, but it ain`t going to happen. I would not travel without protection any more than I would travel without air bags, seat belts, or brakes.

Since we're reviving this 5+ year old thread, we should note that now Georgia and South Carolina do have reciprocity. (despite the fact that South Carolina generally requires training to get a carry permit and Georgia doesn't)
Thank you Governor Nikki Haley and the South Carolina Legislature for doing that a couple years ago.

My grandmother passed away and we are going to be traveling to Maryland through Washington DC, South Carolina and Virginia, who do not honor Georgia permits. I will be staying at my grandmothers house in Maryland and in reading the states laws, they all allow the transport of firearms through their state when traveling from one state where I am legal to posses to another state where it is legal for me to posses. My question is(not requesting legal advice) would you guys take your firearm with you and just leave it unloaded with ammo and firearm stored and locked in two separate areas of the vehicle? Or should I not take my firearm at all. I am not talking about carrying it on my person loaded in these states, only having it in my vehicle.

The other problem is, she will be buried Arlington National Cemetery and I would have no place to store my weapon. I am sure it would not be a good idea to have it even locked in vehicle in Arlington. She is not going to be buried in Arlington for 4 weeks as they are backed up, so that question is for the next trip for the actual burial.

I just do not like the idea of being so far from home without a form of protection. When I fly for work I just deal with it, but this time we are driving. Thanks for any insight on this topic.
WHEN WE ARE IN DOUBT OF CARRYING? WE SHOULD GET ON OUR KNEES AND ASK FOR HELP! THIS IS A SICK AND WICKED WORLD! ALWAYS CARRY!

Tough question. My daughter is stationed in Illinois. When I visit that communist state, I take my pistol, but do not carry it once there. I do not take a firearm onto any Federal facilities. I forgot once and almost crapped myself when they were searching the two cars in front of me, like it was a check point in Baghdad. I lucked out. For whatever reason, they waived me through (Prayer works).

If you have a hotel room, consider leaving it there when you go to Arlington. Otherwise, just decide if you think its worth trying on an orange jumpsuit. Personally, I'm too pretty for prison and would not want my rights permanently taken.

Back
Top Bottom