• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Youth 22 options

MaconGuns

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
63   0
Reaction score
Going to buy a 22 rifle for a 7 year old girl. Pink is a bonus but not necessary. Ive checked out online marlin, savage, cz, ect... ATM im considering a Cricket.

I want to stay under $200 and less is better but, I'd still like to retain as much quality as possible for a reasonable price.

I'm not sure how this will go since it is a first timer, I want the experience to be as good as possible.

7 year old girl?
The rifle should be LIGHT weight. 5 lbs max. 4 would be better.
The stock should be small, with a short buttstock (12" length of pull), and a SLIM wrist and fore-end.
A standard Ruger 10/22 stock is way too fat-- like holding a 2 x 4.

Beginner? Don't get a semi-auto. Choose a bolt action. Possibly a single-shot, or possibly magazine fed.

If you're looking at a Cricket, also consider a Savage Rascal. Similar idea, but I think the Rascal is a slightly bigger gun with better sights and a lighter trigger pull.

7 year old girl?
The rifle should be LIGHT weight. 5 lbs max. 4 would be better.
The stock should be small, with a short buttstock (12" length of pull), and a SLIM wrist and fore-end.
A standard Ruger 10/22 stock is way too fat-- like holding a 2 x 4.

Beginner? Don't get a semi-auto. Choose a bolt action. Possibly a single-shot, or possibly magazine fed.

If you're looking at a Cricket, also consider a Savage Rascal. Similar idea, but I think the Rascal is a slightly bigger gun with better sights and a lighter trigger pull.

The rascal did come up as a possibility. The accutrigger will probably help with flinch. One main reason that threw me off of it is I felt it a bit over priced for what you get. Not sure it is worth an extra $70 over similar 22s.

Mossberg 801 "half pint."
Bolt action .22, with a detachable magazine (also comes with a single-shot adapter).
Wood stock-- so you can either use it as-is (12" length of pull) or saw off an inch (and reattach it later when she gets bigger). Heck, you could even put on an extra-thick recoil pad / rubber butt pad to increase the length of pull when she's a teenager with long arms.

Light weight. Only 4 lbs.

It's not pink.
You could wrap the stock with pink camo tape.
You could put a pink sling on it.
You could strip down the stock and paint it yourself in a pink color.

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/mossberg-international-801-half-pint-rifle/

Another option: Leave the stock alone, but paint the barreled action a girlish color. (Pink, purple, yellow.. whatever.)
I've spray-painted blued steel gun barrels before.
Just wipe 'em down with alcohol to get rid of any oils on the surface, tape-off or cover any moving parts you wouldn't want to get sticky with paint, hang the barreled action up in your garage or basement, and go to town with some Krylon. Give it a few coats over the course of 24 hours.

It's not a very durable finish, but it's easy to touch-up if it gets scratched or starts wearing off.

I was going to get my 7 year old a Marlin 60. As we were walking out the door I thought I should let him try mine. I was wondering about feeding the tube and realized the gun as a whole is too big. I realized that when we go to the range he shoots my 60 and my S&W ar15-22 but we rest it on a barrel. I now have to back up and regroup.

Back
Top Bottom