• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Youth 22 options

We see children at Appleseed shooting events all the time with rifles that aren't right for them. Usually the biggest problem is the length of pull is far too long for the child and they can't get proper elevation. It causes a lot of frustration for them.

Here are my feature suggestions, based off what I've seen with lots of different kids on the firing line:

1. Short length of pull. To check this, the child should be able to put the buttstock in the crook of their elbow and still grip the rifle normally. If you're buying the rifle as a surprise, measure her forearm length so you can check the rifle in the store. A length of pull that is too short is far better than one that's too long.
2. Click adjustable aperture (peep) rear sights. No one should be subjected to dovetail sights on a rifle, especially the vague abominations that Ruger puts on 10/22's. The best upgrade for a 10/22 is a set of Tech Sights. You might also want a cheap red dot; that's easier for most kids to understand.
3. Longer barrels. Sure, rifles with short barrels are handy and light, but it's harder for an adult to prevent a muzzle sweep when the barrel is shorter. If the barrel is short, stay close to them and be watchful for muzzle movement. You can also screw wood blocks on either side of a shooting rest to keep the muzzle captured.

It doesn't matter if it's single shot or magazine fed at this point. You can always just make them prep one round into the magazine.

Also, make sure her dominate eye is the same as her dominate hand. You can have trouble if she's left eye dominate and right handed (like my girl). To check which eye is dominate: give her a toilet paper tube and ask her to look at something like she's looking through a telescope. Whichever eye she instinctively brings the tube to is her dominate eye.

If she can understand and follow instructions and be safe, then she's old enough for an Appleseed. Bring her and we'll teach her the fundamentals and keep her safe. Sometimes kids get more if someone other than Dad teaches them. As an instructor myself, I plan on taking my daughter to a shoot and letting the other instructors work with her instead of me.

If you bring her to a Appleseed, plan on shooting as well. You'll probably find out that you learn a few things yourself. I still learn something at every shoot.

Good luck with it!

Just got back from a couple of local stores. I measure from trigger to the butt end on several. I have a 15-22 with adjustable stock and figure I will use it to see what we need.

Back
Top Bottom