• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Foreign Weapons and Obscure Builds

I'm glad you guys are still making progress. For me... I'm getting burned out here recently.

Well, now that I think about it, I might have a tad bit of progress on something I was tinkering with last night.

I'll try to post it up sometime this weekend.

But All in All, I just can't force myself to finished the last couple of projects I have going.

See now I gotta go back in this Yuge thread and read all the stuff y’all did to refinish your wood. I can’t decide on trying to go Blonde and clear coated, or match that Bakelite color, or go for the gusto with some sunburst or Polish Orange?

Research time

My vote would be the traditional Serb way. Many coatings of BLO until it gets that warm orangey goodness. I'm really not a fan of the "russian red" stain followed by so much urethane that it's glazed more than a batch of sweet and sour chicken at a bad chinese restaurant. Last time I treated some Serb wood (Fagus Silvatica - aka European Birch), it took about 9 coats of BLO to get to the original Zastava look.

I have a handful of Tula plum and Circle 21"fire brick red" 5.45 mags that I need to offload on the AKFiles marketplace since I sold my single 74 a while back. I think I missed the boat on selling them for $45 each.

Hey brother send me a pm on those firebrick red 21's, might be interested.

My vote would be the traditional Serb way. Many coatings of BLO until it gets that warm orangey goodness. I'm really not a fan of the "russian red" stain followed by so much urethane that it's glazed more than a batch of sweet and sour chicken at a bad chinese restaurant. Last time I treated some Serb wood (Fagus Silvatica - aka European Birch), it took about 9 coats of BLO to get to the original Zastava look.

Agree, most Russian red's are overdone. With stains you are limited to the color and tones you can get. Dyes have greater flexibility by mixing colors and how much you dilute them. Seal em in with shellac, Amber shellac over a dyed stock also adds another depth of color. The one yugo I have is back to its natural unfinished condition, didn't look right refinished from a traditional perspective.

I'm glad you guys are still making progress. For me... I'm getting burned out here recently.

Well, now that I think about it, I might have a tad bit of progress on something I was tinkering with last night.

I'll try to post it up sometime this weekend.

But All in All, I just can't force myself to finished the last couple of projects I have going.

Kertwood you gotta get fired up bro! I would say build an ak but I think you would have to retool, lol. I ran into a snag on mine. I pressed out the barrel pin to rivet in the trunnion and man it came out mangled. I'm thinking I didn't clean out the hole very well. Drilled undersized and then reamed to 7mm, looked clean. Finish receiver, press barrel back in, check headspace, redrill for oversize pin. I stay motivated by fixing my mistakes...

I might have a dude for ya I’m gonna send you a PM tomorrow with his info. He’s affordable, reliable, works on AKs locally, and best of all honest. If he can’t do it he’ll let you know before feeding you a basket of lies.

Can you send me his info as well?

I need to chop the barrel/pin a fake booster and engrave my new 107CR for its pending Form 1. I used Two Rivers for my 104UR and I'm happy with their work, but it would be nice to have someone local.

Back
Top Bottom