• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Foreign Weapons and Obscure Builds

Welcome to my early Saturday. Let's see if we can pull some of this Cosmomine outta this soaked stock. Yugos oiled their furniture, which I respect and prefer, so I don't need to strip any shellac or garbage like that, however the cosmo has penetrated deep in places.

The top hand guard is essentially cosmoline free minus the ends where the handguard caps are and the metal soaked it in good, I'll let that bleed out with shooting seeing as I'm no longer getting any "Micro bubbles" of cosmoline rising on the surface any longer. Grain looks beautiful! Now it smells good; like a hint of good commie' cosmoline with 31 year old oil and Eastern European Birch wood.

FUN FACT: most people have heard, or believe the wood used on Yugos from these era was Teak. Did some online research while enjoying the ride of this build and learned this myth was apparently started by Mitchell Arms when importing pre-ban Yugos. Iron wood designs, and a friend of the owner, spoke with memebers from the Zastava factory who apparently laughed when they were told about the teak. They confirmed they wouldn't have spent that much money on an very expensive south East Asian hardwood and actually used a local species of Birch found in Yugoslovia and surrounding regions. Learn something every day! Good thinking Yugos!

:focus:

The buttstock is moderately penetrated, pretty dark and can see some spots where it soaked in nice. The lower handguard is for sure soaked through. I pulled it out of the box last night, just it, and my Gf was like "you're gonna do that stinky stuff now?" From a room away. Cosmo is a Nark.

So today I'm gonna heat gun (blow dryer) this lower handguard and stock and see if I can I start sucking out some of this gunk while I patiently wait on my Reciever.

If the blow dryer doesn't work ( 1800 watts it should) then I'll try my real deal heat gun at work.

IMG_7688.JPG

If anyone has any suggestions in regards to Yugoslavian furniture restoration, cleaning, oiling (Boiled Linseed hand rubbed slow?) I'm all ears and got time to play with it!

Future idea is maintained BLO finish patiently kneaded in correctly

I sold sovietak474u sovietak474u a set of NOS Yugo handguards several years ago that I removed the Cosmoline from successfully. He can attest to how well the method I used worked.

Simply place them in the oven on a cookie sheet covered in aluminum foil and bake them at a low to moderate heat setting removing them periodically to wipe the Cosmoline off. Be warned, this stuff stinks up the house. I had to wait for the Wife to be gone. You know... It's better to ask for forgiveness, rather than for permission.

When they stop sweating they're good to go.

I took the Handguards several steps further stripping all color and stain from the wood but you're not looking to do that so I'll save server space explaining.

I sold sovietak474u sovietak474u a set of NOS Yugo handguards several years ago that I removed the Cosmoline from successfully. He can attest to how well the method I used worked.

Simply place them in the oven on a cookie sheet covered in aluminum foil and bake them at a low to moderate heat setting removing them periodically to wipe the Cosmoline off. Be warned, this stuff stinks up the house. I had to wait for the Wife to be gone. You know... It's better to ask for forgiveness, rather than for permission.

I took the Handguards several steps further stripping all color and stain from the wood but you're not looking to do that so I'll save server space explaining.
Man she's laying here right now with a very "convenient" headache :spy: luckily I was able to use the blow dryer on all three pieces but at the end I was getting the evil eye haha.

That's great advice, they actually dried up pretty quick and felt good but I can see a new wave of cosmo rising to replace its fallen comrades.

She's gonna be at work all day tomorrow. I'm already sizing her cookie sheets. Forgiveness will be in order, what better day to ask than Sunday!

I've also read where boiling them in water is much faster but have no experience in the method. I do know that wood expands when saturated with water but will return to its original shape once it's completely dried. So don't freak at the expansion if doing the boiling method.

I have boiled wooden stocks before, a few shotgun fore-ends and stocks. I was stripping finish though and not cosmo. Steaming them did a number on any dings or dents from field use, rose up and filled themselves in looking brand new!

For this however I'm gonna avoid boiling or steaming because it's got some "love marks" :fish: and I wanna keep the character there.

Looks like oven, oven, oven, then break out the BLO and elbow grease for the 2 months this thing will be being built.

Thank you for the advice :thumb:

Bottom hand guard definitely got the good dip in the gunk.
Looking better though
IMG_7693.JPG
IMG_7694.JPG
IMG_7696.JPG

Agreed. They are still on my Yugo M70AB2 to this day as we speak.

She's almost all ready to ship out. GM barrel shows up Friday afternoon :thumb: then I'm just waiting on a receiver to show up any week now and she'll be off. Literally cleaned up, oiled lightly, packaged accordingly and individually bagged, with box ready already filled with packaging paper, bag and throw receiver in and drive to fed ex.

Just waiting on you Childers.....and then there was 1

IMG_7737.JPG

Happy Thanksgiving! Things I'm thankful for, Jesus, the American soldier, freedom, life and liberty....OH!! And the super professional and speedy shipping department at Green Mountain Barrels! I'm also thankful for good ol' American Steel Barrels done well. What a piece of art. Worth every bit of 250.00 so far! (Let's see how she shoots before I throw her on the bbl idol pedestal) but if looks and machining are any indicator i couldn't be happier.

Now time to roll and box her back up and add her to the ever growing more expensive heavy a** box to ship!

IMG_7791.JPG
IMG_7794.JPG
Nice handguard notch and RPK ribbed venting slots.
IMG_7793.JPG

Chrome lined bore and chamber
IMG_7795.JPG
Nice clean threads well protected. I'm sure my builder will enjoy working with this fine specimen of a barrel

Back
Top Bottom