• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Zastava PAP Project With Real AK Furniture & Rail

boxer90

Default rank <3000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
32   0
Reaction score
So I had this Zastava M85 lying around. Bought it last year. Fun gun but I broke the wood gas tube cover trying to rig a rail on a while back, because I do stupid things sometimes when I'm bored. I didn't like the base Yugo furniture anyway, so I did something about it.

Purchased: https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-5347-original-hungarian-ak-pistol-grip-and-handguard-set.aspx ($9.99 - wood arrived in good condition, better than their sample picture)
Had: The picatinny and regular scope rings used to clamp down the top cover and to hide the size difference. Can be purchased for $5-10 online if you need one.

The Hungarian gas tube covers aren't long enough to cover the entire Yugo rail, so something was needed to cover this gap and to clamp down the tube cover as the metal clip had to be removed for clearance reasons. The rings do a fine job at this and by using a picatinny rail ring on top, you add the ability to mount an optic without spending money on one of those Ultimak rails. The bottom handguard required some fitting and sanding before it would install, and it's still not a perfect fit, but it works. Primarily the wood tab that inserts into the receiver had to be reduced in size. Some sanding with a Dremel was also necessary to allow a proper barrel fit.

If you're just wanting a wood grip for your Yugo, the Hungarian pistol grip fits perfectly after you remove it's metal spacer. This can easily be done with a screwdriver. I added a washer to prevent grip screw on wood contact. Even at $10 for just the pistol grip, you're saving money compared to other wood grips I've seen marketed for the Yugo. It's quite comfortable with my larger hands, and much improved from the surplus Yugo grips these come installed with.

Attachments

• yugo.jpg
    yugo.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom