• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Zeroing my M1A for the first time

tthompson

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
146   0
Reaction score
Hey folks. Picked up a Springfield M1A Scout this week and I am super pumped to get to the range tomorrow.

With that said I am also a little nervous on the zeroing process of the sights. I did do my homework all over YouTube and forums on a 100 yard zero. Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Just remember the rear sight moves point of impact 1 MOA per click, which is 1 inch at 100 yards, 1/4 inch at 25 yards. Move the rear sight in the direction you want to move point of impact.

Once zeroed loosen the BDC screw and set the BDC dial while holding the sight stationary. The BDC probably won't match perfectly because of the shorter barrel, but it will be fairly close out to 400-500 yards.

Go to an Appleseed event to learn how to shoot it accurately without all the props you won't have if you need to use it for real.

Nice rifle. I considered one for my heavy hitter, but ended up going another direction. It came down to the one I found at a good price first.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/\faqs\M14-FAQs\sighting_in.htm

This is a simple to follow guide. Remember to write down what adjustments you are making, this will help you correct a screwup without guessing. Make notes about how many clicks between 25, 50, and 100 yards. If you zero at 25 first, 100 should be 5 clicks up. That way you go back if you need to. You can also look at ballistic tables and figure out the far zero for each adjustment.

How did it go today?
I shot an M1A I recently acquired today for the first time. Front sight was set far left which was a problem I adjusted by loosening and moving to ctr and it should be on track. Awesome rifles.

Well fellas, today I was finally able to make it out to my LGR and zero the M1A. Wow is she an absolute blast to shoot. With the help of a 25M battle zero target I was able to dial her in within the first 6 rounds. The other 14 were just having fun. If I seriously had enough ammo I could have squeezed off rounds all day!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424035380.126523.jpg

This was off a bench, no stand, elbow only. Not perfect but the more I play the better it will get.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424035543.258769.jpg

Back
Top Bottom