• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Zeroing the AR-15 at 25, 36, 50 or 100 yards.

I'm a proponent of 50yd zero. This video does a great job of explaining why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUJfYr13k_A

I have a hard time taking anything from Jaeger seriously. Not saying I disagree with them, I just can't take them seriously. Travis Haley posted a video a while back that did a very good job of comparing the different methods by showing POA/POI on a silhouette target at varying ranges. It was a good demonstration and allows the viewer to draw their own conclusions about what will work best for them. None of the methods are wrong or right. It's just important to understand how they work and choose the one that works best for you. Personally, I like the relative simplicity of the 100 yd zero, but that's just a personal preference.

A good point to make here is that some trainers require a specific zero for their course. If you choose to use something different, be prepared to explain why and demonstrate proficient use of it at varying ranges. Most importantly, in a training environment, keep an open mind and remember that you're there to learn.

I shoot at indoor ranges mostly that are only 25 yards. Isn't there a target somewhere the mimics a 50 yard zero at 25 yards?

If there is - it is marketing BS. There is no way that a target can accurately compensate for all of the variables involved (caliber, bullet, barrel length, sight height...). You just need to use a normal target and adjust your sights / scope so that the point of impact will be 1 - 2 inches LOW at 25 yards.

The best thing you can do is understand what is happening... If the barrel is level - All bullets start to drop the second they leave the barrel, but the sight line is dead straight. To compensate for this, you point the barrel up and adjust your optic to intersect the arc of the bullet path. The bullet will rise for a distance then drop. Zeroing at 50 yards (on the way up) makes it zero at 300 (on the way down). All of that needs to be confirmed with YOUR GUN AND BULLETS.

zero.JPG

Last edited:
I shoot at indoor ranges mostly that are only 25 yards. Isn't there a target somewhere the mimics a 50 yard zero at 25 yards?

There are a series of targets designed for 25 yard ranges / 100 yd zero available for free download on M4C. They were set up by a member there and offer different targets for Aimpoint, Eotech, etc. Each target is designed for 5.56mm and has an adjustment grid specifically scaled to the adjustments for each optic. It basically has a center aiming point and below that is a calibrated impact point. I can attest, this is simply designed for a ROUGH 100 yard zero. You will absolutely need to confirm zero and make final adjustments at 100.

I do the 25 yd site in,always have, always will.Stubborn ole bastard I guess.

The only concern with that is that the arc is more steep, so the max bullet height above sight line will be higher and second zero will be different... As long as you know what they are - you are all set.

Last edited:
If there is - it is marketing BS. There is no way that a target can accurately compensate for all of the variables involved (caliber, bullet, barrel length, sight height...). You just need to use a normal target and adjust your sights / scope so that the point of impact will be 1 - 2 inches LOW at 25 yards.

The best thing you can do is understand what is happening... If the barrel is level - All bullets start to drop the second they leave the barrel, but the sight line is dead straight. To compensate for this, you point the barrel up and adjust your optic to intersect the arc of the bullet path. The bullet will rise for a distance then drop. Zeroing at 50 yards (on the way up) makes it zero at 300 (on the way down). All of that needs to be confirmed with YOUR GUN AND BULLETS.

View attachment 278778

Thanks, that is good info. It was the M4C free downloads I was referring to that are mentioned above. According to one of the charts and what you said, POI about an inch below the target at 25 yards is a 50 yard zero.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom