• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Zeroing the AR-15 at 25, 36, 50 or 100 yards.

Thanks, that is good info. It was the M4C free downloads I was referring to that are mentioned below. According to one of the charts above and what you said, POI about an inch below the target at 25 yards is a 50 yard zero.

I wasn't sure if they had a 25/50. It's been a while since I downloaded the 100 zero targets. 1" sounds about right.

I have a hard time taking anything from Jaeger seriously. Not saying I disagree with them, I just can't take them seriously. Travis Haley posted a video a while back that did a very good job of comparing the different methods by showing POA/POI on a silhouette target at varying ranges. It was a good demonstration and allows the viewer to draw their own conclusions about what will work best for them. None of the methods are wrong or right.
Understandable. Although, Reid seems to be very knowledgeable on this subject since they teach multiple classes a year that deal with 300-400 yards and in. Not sure what Travis does these days but I think the vast majority of his old Magpul classes were 25 yards and in.

For what it's worth, I've watched that Travis Haley zeroing video in the past and Reid's rise/drop table was more accurate for me than Travis'. But of course, YMMV depending on ammo & rifle.

Understandable. Although, Reid seems to be very knowledgeable on this subject since they teach multiple classes a year that deal with 300-400 yards and in. Not sure what Travis does these days but I think the vast majority of his old Magpul classes were 25 yards and in.

For what it's worth, I've watched that Travis Haley zeroing video in the past and Reid's rise/drop table was more accurate for me than Travis'. But of course, YMMV depending on ammo & rifle.

Fair enough. I just have personal bias with Jaeger. Just can't take him seriously, but I'm sure there's some good info there if you can sort through all the tattoos and bravado. I'll watch the video tonight when I get a chance. Re: Haley. Trust me, I'm not a Costaphile. Before Magpul Haley was a Marine and PSC. The video he did was post-Magpul and was a good presentation without all the urban prone. ;) Drawing on his combat experience, he showed the varying impact points at different distances using each method. It was a good, no-bs presentation. Seeing the impact points on a man size torso provided a good depiction of the differences. If I knew how to link the video, I would, but I'm YouTube impaired.

ETA: I didn't mean to give the impression that I disagreed with you on your choice of zero or that you were "wrong". If I did, I apologize. It's a personal preference. Some folks will get adamant about one or the other. Not me. They all work, as long as someone understands the trajectory for their chosen method. I just wanted to share some info, primarily to express the importance of understanding how each one works. Alot of folks will read something on the Internet and take it as gospel. Even worse, they'll adopt something like the 50/200 and never fire it past 50. For these methods to really work, you should confirm final zero at the long distance, be it 100, 200 or 300 yards.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I just have personal bias with Jaeger. Just can't take him seriously, but I'm sure there's some good info there if you can sort through all the tattoos and bravado. I'll watch the video tonight when I get a chance. Re: Haley. Trust me, I'm not a Costaphile. Before Magpul Haley was a Marine and PSC. The video he did was post-Magpul and was a good presentation without all the urban prone. ;) Drawing on his combat experience, he showed the varying impact points at different distances using each method. It was a good, no-bs presentation. Seeing the impact points on a man size torso provided a good depiction of the differences. If I knew how to link the video, I would, but I'm YouTube impaired.

Yea, Yeager himself is def my least favorite of his crew. I do like Reid and Jay more, plus they have actual military experience; USMC & Rangers, respectively, IIRC. I've seen Haley's mannequin torso zeroes for both AK calibers but I don't think I've seen it for 5.56. I'll try to dig around YouTube for it.

ETA: I didn't mean to give the impression that I disagreed with you on your choice of zero or that you were "wrong". If I did, I apologize. It's a personal preference. Some folks will get adamant about one or the other. Not me. They all work, as long as someone understands the trajectory for their chosen method. I just wanted to share some info, primarily to express the importance of understanding how each one works. Alot of folks will read something on the Internet and take it as gospel. Even worse, they'll adopt something like the 50/200 and never fire it past 50. For these methods to really work, you should confirm final zero at the long distance, be it 100, 200 or 300 yards.
Didn't interpret it as such but thanks for the clarification, anyways. I totally agree with the importance of confirming your POA/POIs at actual ranges since that's a golden rule; although, it is hard for some folks to find 100+ yard ranges. To boot, patterning shotgun loads at varying distance is equally important and can be done on a 25 yard range, if shotguns are allowed.

Back
Top Bottom