• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Zillow abandoning the home flipping business

rbstern

Hen of Fame Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
Not sure how many people were aware of this, but Zillow had gotten into flipping homes in the U.S. real estate market.

I was shocked to hear from old neighbors what Zillow was paying for houses in the Lawrenceville neighborhood I lived in for 26 years. And here we are, just a few months later: Zillow announced a nearly 1/2 billion dollar writedown and shuttering that part of its business.

One potential takeaway: Zillow got a bit ahead of itself and overextended.

Another view might be: There is simply no more room (demand and/or available $) for residential real estate prices to go up. In other words, "lookout below."

Will be interesting to see if this is just a one-company management misstep, or a market peak event.

It's hard to compete with the local Mom and Pop investor when you pay retail plus and have a large infrastructure to support. They paid stupid prices and are cutting their losses. Realestate prices can't keep rising like they have in the past and it looks like they are leveling out.

I mean they were paying out ridiculous money to the point I was willing to up and sell and was wondering how they would ever sell at the price they offered so I saw this coming a mile away

Back
Top Bottom