• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Zippety Doo Dah Dammit again

Nonliberal

Eagle Icon Super Lifetime Supporter 1
Formerly known as Bypass
355   0
Reaction score
Down here working at the shop and I get a phone call. Dogs are attacking a baby deer. Jump in the truck head over to the N 40 and there it is. Now, I am thoroughly opposed to shooting dogs just for being on my property (Yotes being the exception) but they were attacking a fawn. Unzipped one dog, and I feel bad about it but hey, it's done now.
This has been a couple hours ago. I got the baby and put her up in an open side of a barn. Set up a predator call on distressed fawn thinking maybe mom would come back.
I also have two little girls, after that didn't work for an hour or so, they decided it was going to need feeding. Nature taking it's course is not a thing around here, not because of me, but because I love my girls. So we're going to leave it in the back yard near the porch and try to feed it. It's not bleeding bad but acts like it can't walk.
I'm no deer amateur, much less an expert, but I don't know if it just hasn't started walking yet. It does not appear to be broken.
Anyway, they got goat formula and I guess we'll see where this goes.
Anybody rescue deer? Yes, I am aware that it is not lawfully proper but whatever. You'd be a real son of a bitch to do anything about it.
Baby deer
20210701_131333.jpg

We have mama deer in the yard every day and hope this thing will skiddadle with one this evening.
IMG_4831.jpg

I think I would have done the same thing, if I could not drive the dogs off with pepper spray or something. Yes, survival of the fittest and all of that, but it is hard not to find compassion in that situation.

Not being able to stand/walk may be the reason that mama was not around to help the newborn. You could take it to a vet to see if it is something serious.

You probably already know this, but you got my curiosity up on how you care for a fawn. They apparently drink A LOT of milk. The good thing is that goats milk is relatively easy to find. Good luck. Please keep us posted.

https://www.wildwatch.org/firstaid/feeddeer.htm

Back
Top Bottom