1911 guys

Yes and no. Most of the 1911 you're going to buy today are going to be fairly custom fitted. The original specs for the 1911 and 1911 A 1 were for parts interchangeability. Today however most parts require some fitting

You can always try... the slides and frames and barrels should be fine.
The bushing and safeties and small parts might require some minor fitting.

Interesting fact John browning designed the 1911 to be completely detail strip with just the magazine

A 1911 isn't like an AR 15. To perform safely and reliably a Smith that knows what he's doing is highly recommended. I can replace several parts on any 1911. When it comes to fitting fire control groups, safeties and barrels and bushings, I want someone more qualified than I am to do it.

Are 1911 Parts on 1911s interchangeable ? slides and frames and barrels

Nope. If you did happen to find a slide, frame, barrel that was interchangable, it would be very rare. Even when the part(s) seem to fit, after firing a hunderd rounds (if you made that far) you would likely find all sort of unusual wear and peening. Even "drop in" barrels from quality manufactures (Brown, Wilson, Kart and others) require fitting, usally in three seperate areas. The current stable of production (I.E Mass Produced) 1911's (Colt, Springfield, and others) have parts in them that required hand fitting. Find a good 1911 forum and educate yourself there. Around here there are many (the real gunsmiths who do it for a living, like Brian Ott, excluded) that give advice on gunsmithing topics that will lead you to the edge of the cliff and over.

Back
Top Bottom