• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

2-4-6-8-10 challenge

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
Here's a challenge that pretty much anybody can do at most shooting ranges, if they allow rapid fire (or will allow it upon special request, when you convince them you can do it without spraying lead all over their walls, floor, and ceiling).

the 2-4-6-8-10 Challenge!

I made it up, after hearing about a 5 to the 5th power challenge, which is shot at 5 yards and is intended for small revolvers. It's not really that difficult for large guns with good sights and smooth trigger pulls, so I came up with this 2-4-6-8-10 challenge for those who want to use a 4" to 6" barreled gun that's known to be accurate.

TWO: 2 targets, spaced with the centers about 18" to 24" apart. That's as far apart as you can get on an indoor range, ONE LANE, with one target carrier and hanging system, if you use a posterboard or carboard backer behind your paper targets.

FOUR: Four seconds is the time limit on this one. Starting from low-reading and ending when your last shot is fired.
(You'll have to figure out a way to time yourself, or have a friend with a stopwatch time you. I chose to use my cellphone camera to video record myself shooting, and then played it back with a stopwatch in my hand to check the times. )

SIX: Six shots total on the clock. Must either be 3 on each target, or 2 shots on one and 4 on the other.

EIGHT: 8" diameter scoring ring around the aiming spot (dead center), which you MUST designate and mark as the target before you shoot.
Either mark a dot or small circle for the center point and then later use a ruler and draw the 8" circle, or do the full circle drawing ahead of time. Your choice. This is supposed to be easy and convenient for everybody to participate.

TEN: 10 yards of distance to the target. 30 feet.
(At some ranges there will be no way to be sure where the 30 foot line is, but do your best to estimate from a known distance. For example, if your local range has no markings between 50 feet and 25 yards, put your target about 6/10 (roughly two-thirds) from the firing line towards that 50 foot mark.
If your range has the 21 foot (7 yards) line marked, just picture three yardsticks on the floor going back past that point. Or imagine what a 10-foot chain or rope laid on the floor would look like, and place your target over the "end" of that imaginary object to get roughly the correct distance.)

I tried this ONCE, just six quick shots, with a .357 revolver (6" K-frame S&W) and failed. Much too slow, at almost 6 seconds, when a maximum of 4 seconds is allowed.

I tried this TWICE with a full sized semi-auto 9mm, and also failed for the same reason. Over the time limit, but at least I was only a little over at about 4.25 to 4.75 seconds. I will work on that.

(I can pop off 6 aimed shots at 2 different targets really fast IF THE TARGETS ARE CLOSE, but only when the target is at 10 yards I can't even get the sights anywhere close to aligned (sloppy alignment is what I'm trying for, not precision) unless I take over 4 seconds to do the shooting. )

Who wants to try this with me?

Oh, and this test is just pass or fail. We don't need to rank people regarding how close you came on time, or measure group size.
All that matters for the time is did you do it in 4.00 seconds or less? Yes or no. Pass or fail.
All that matters for the accuracy is that did your shots all land in, or touching the line, on those 8" diameter circles? Yes or no. You don't need to tell us you got a 2.75" group or you would have had a 2.75" group but for that one flyer that made it a 6.5" group. All that other info is optional, but keep in mind the challenge is pass-or-fail.

Remember to draw EIGHT-INCH diameter circles. Not the 5" circles used in the 5 x 5 challenge.

Area = Pi x (radius squared)
A = (3.14159) x (16)
Area of circle with 4" radius = 50.26 square inches.
That's a lot of real estate to toss that lead through.

(A 5" circle only has 19.63 square inches of area, so the 8" circle has about 250% more area available to hit).

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Did it. Spgfld XD9. Three sets. Passed first two.
Third time, shot too fast and dropped one shot outside the 8" ring.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 7
Nobody else wants to try this?

I did some 1- handed shooting today at 10 yards. From the signal I raised the gun from low ready, one-handed, fired eight shots (two shots at each of four targets).
I hit them all near the center and the elapsed time on that was nine seconds .

Back
Top Bottom