.223 to 5.56 question

SMLEshooter

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
92   0
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for a recommended gun smith south of Atlanta (newnan, jonesboro, mcdonough, forsyth, thomaston, griffin, etc...) to ream out an older 20 inch .223 bull barrel to 5.56 dimensions.

Any suggestions?

Why not just get a new barrel? Barrels are disposable items, and the cost of getting to a smith, having it reamed and such you might want to consider a new barrel anyways... especially if there's a significant round count on the existing barrel.

Why not just get a new barrel? Barrels are disposable items, and the cost of getting to a smith, having it reamed and such you might want to consider a new barrel anyways... especially if there's a significant round count on the existing barrel.

That would be the simplist route, but it is rifle my father put together from parts back in the late 80's....

Does not have a high round count.

Works great with any .223 I shoot. Binds up with any 5.56.

You'll most likely lose accuracy with true .223 rounds going to a 5.56 chamber. A possibility is the .223 Wylde chamber that RRA and some others do, so that you can maintain some accuracy but still chamber 5.56 rounds.

Last edited:
You'll most likely lose accuracy with true .223 rounds going to a 5.56 chamber. A possibility is the .223 Wylde chamber that RRA and some others do, so that you can maintain some accuracy but still chamber 5.56 rounds.

223 Wylde is actually a pretty good idea. If I were going to have a barrel rechambered, I would send it to White Oak Armory or Compass Lake Engineering. They aren't local, but they make great barrels and know what they are doing. Since this barrel is a keepsake and has some nostalgia attached to it, I wouldn't trust just anyone to do it. You will only get one shot at getting it right.

I think the best that could be done is a chamber similar to the one used by Ruger in the Mini14. It is a compromise that covers both cartridges-- accuracy is not too good.

There has been a lot of talk on the dangers of shooting 556 in 223, but I have never heard even one story about something actually taking place.

I do not dispute the real safety concerns, just have not heard of any real problems.

Back
Top Bottom