• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

45 COLT

Putnambuck

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
49   0
Reaction score
Looking for load data on 45 Colt 255 SWC and Titegroup powder.
Only thing I've found is 4.5 to 5.2 from an old post on a reloading website.
Does anyone have any newer updated information?
Thanks

Lyman's newest cast bullet handbook shows 255gr SWC (from Lyman mold #452424), with Titegroup, starting load of 5.6, max of 6.2 with velocities of 816 and 896 respectively.

Looking at a slightly heavier bullet, the 270GR RCBS# 452-270-SAA mold, at 4.4 to 5.6 grains. I add that because that load actually shows pressure testing at 13,800 PSI for that heavier, max load, which is bumping up against the maximum recommended pressure for this cartridge of 14,000 PSI. Granted, this cartridge has been around forever so it tends to be loaded to low pressures so as to be safe in all the old, abused, weaker steel guns of yesteryear. Just food for thought. Depending on your gun you may look for some of the hotter load data if you are feeling froggy.

I'm shooting a Uberti colt clone so can't go the Ruger load route. I tell ya, the 5.5 titegroup loads I worked up shoot really good with 255swc.
Thanks for the info

I'm right there with ya......I've got a clone 45 colt as well (although mine's German, not Italian but same/same). If I were attempting to hunt I'd be looking to squeeze the last couple drops of performance out of the deal. I'm not, so "safe and accurate" is the name of the game. Just started casting for this and had happened to pull out the cast bullet handbook to check on load data when I happened to see this thread.

Back
Top Bottom