• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

55 grain Subsonic? 5.56 AR15 using 10 Pistol Powders...no load data. What happened?

User42

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
7   0
Reaction score
Hi fellas. Did extensive, very precise loads, to see how this all works. And the results were extraordinary. Basically, I already knew N330 was the best pistol powder on the planet, and its not close. And it did extraordinary in the AR15 using 55 grain bullets too.

Here is the page on the topic.

http://natoreloading.com/subsonic556/

Here is the load data I made from scratch. P.S. Please don't use this data, its not manufacturer and may not be safe for you.
natoreloading_com_subsonic556_assets_f0d9e2f7_50e9_4efd_9c66_6e99554cc123_.jpg

Every single shot fired with no issues, no misfires, no erratic flyers, no smoke in excess, no nothing. It just all fired smooth, and very very powder puff light. Even the 13.5 grains of Blue Dot fired pretty light recoil.

This test interested me, and made me curious, so I am going to go back and test 77 grain bullets, as well as a 55 grain ladder test using N330 until I blow primers or close to it.

I looked all over internet, and found nothing on this topic really. A few videos using standard Hodgdon load data but I found all the media out there to be very "book" data, and already done. I cannot do that, so I made up my own data and as you can see, I did not guess that great on a few, as I was aiming for like 1000-1200 FPS on everything.

Accurate #7, Blue Dot, 3N38, I vastly overestimated the powder, and should have used much less. But now I know how much to use for every powder to get near 1100 FPS in a 20" barrel.

I guessed almost perfectly with the SW Cleanshot & Sport Pistol, those were the numbers I wanted.

Lots of cotton blowing out the barrel, kind of funny. There was a few people at range wondering what I was doing, looking at me funny. Maybe they saw the cotton, or the fact I was manually cycling everything, or the fact the loads were all pretty quiet, without suppressor.

Of note. NOT 1 load on entire sheet cycled gun. Nothing.

if it won't cycle I guess you are still looking for quiet rounds. I saw something similar with the 22 hornet. stuffing a 77gr SMK on top of some loads to get nice subsonic rounds out of the hornet. The issue usually was the twist of the barrel and stabilization.

One of these days I'll play around with it. would be fun to have a cheap/accurate/quiet subsonic round for me 77/22 or contender barrel (would need to thread both as well). More thing for "some day".

I used the advertised Sub load on Hodgden’s website using a Hornady 55gr fmj with 3.1 grains of Titegroup seated OAL 2.225.

It didn’t cycle the bolt but exited the barrel just fine. I wonder if it would clear the barrel if I drop the charge to 2.9 grains?

Back
Top Bottom